Total Novice asking for BASIC help

Guest Gordon McIntosh

Guest Gordon McIntosh

I have just installed Mandriva 2008 on my Accer Aspire 5315 as I hate Vista and I am having problems with the sound. I did a search and apparantly the fix is:

Try adding this line to /etc/modprobe.conf:

options snd-hda-intel model=acer

However, I am computer illiterate and do not understand where or how to enter these lines as I do not know how to write a programme, PLEASE help!!!

/etc/modprobe.conf is a simple text file. You only have to copy & paste that line to the end of the file and save the file. Use a text editor (kwrite, kate, gedit etc) and not a word processor because word processors save formatting info into the file.

However you have to do it as root because with your normal user account you're not allowed to edit system files.

To do that you have to launch a terminal (command prompt) application. There are several the KDE one is called Konsole. The Gnome one is gTerminal IIRC. In this application you have to type commands. So type

su

it stands fo switch user. By default it switches you to root. Give your root password. Note that it won't appear on the screen.

Now you have to type the name of the text editor you chose to use e.g. kwrite (for KDE) or gedit (Gnome). Now the text editor runs with root privileges and you can edit that file.