Distro recommendations

just so you know i am working on the arch linux i586 port. it is still a month or two away but it is coming.

Interesting - may well be worth waiting for that then. I did wuite like arch when I tried it. I couldn't get it working quite how I like for the desktop, but I reckon it might be perfect for my little server...

i have a ftp install i586 port complete. see the announcement on the arch forum for some things to know.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Debian has been running fine on my old Pentium II-based server box... Uptime is currently at 113 days... My friend in Toronto is running his website off of a Pentium 166 with 32MB of RAM with Debian on it, and it's been up for only 4 hours less than mine. If you need an easy installer, you could try that version released by Progeny with their Anaconda port. I'm gonna try it sometime, as it looks pretty neat...

Never tried Arch, so I can't comment on that.

Slackware is cool too, and swaret might be a good piece of software for updating it.

Lots of choices... It's up to you. :)

swaret broke a lot in my slack9. Yum is much more stable rt now anyway.

Hey, are you sure it was swaret or "slap-get" which I could believe hosed you up. Swaret hasn't ever broke my box, just the user! :juggle:

:D

• 4 weeks later...

I know this thread is a couple of month old but....

I've had RH 9 on a separate machine for several months now, and I like it pretty good. My only linux experience is with mdk 8.1, 9.0 and RH 9.0 - none of the more advanced distros.

I'd like to try something else on my older machine. There is no important data on my RH 9 box, so I can pretty much try different distros over and over again without worrying about losing anything. I installed apt with my RH 9 distro and I have really gotten spoiled with the ease of upgrading packages.

I see all the comments about arch linux here, but according to the arch website it is kind of more for intermediate users....

Is there any out-of-the-box distro yet that has the 2.6 kernel ? or a download distro that has 2.6 ? Should I even care about 2.6 ?

My linux box is a P-III 1Ghz, with 256Mb RAM. I'd like to stick an inexpensive DVD burner in it (such as the Lite-On 411S which is a dual-format burner) and learn how to burn DVDs and CDs under linux. Bump the RAM up to 512 also.

thanks in advance