File cannot be deleted in Mandriva

xavierp94

It might be interesting to work out WHY you can't delete it - we're all assuming that it's because of a permissions problem, that is, you aren't allowed to delete it because the folder belongs to someone else. But then it's curious that it could have got into your trash in this case. Before you delete it, look at the properties of the folder to see who it belongs to and what the permissions are (read-only, only writeable by owner etc).

If you don't understand file permissions, why not look into it a bit before just deleting the file?

Plus, are you using KDE3, KDE4, gnome or some other desktop? Does it give an error message when you try to delete it?

Every time I delete the files inside the trash can it says that some files do not exist.

Edit: I did what willie said but before I did that I check the trash bin before I deleted it and it appears that nothing is inside of it when im logged into root. Once I check into it being a normal user it shows the files.

How do I recover the file once I delete it?

Never mind I found how to recover it.

I still cant fix the problem.

EDIT: I fixed the problem. What i did is I restored that folder that was causing problems. Then I logged into the root account then deleted it.