Install Mandriva 2009

Guest old new guy

Guest old new guy

Looking at distros for a year since I was Vista'd. Mepis or Mandriva seem best for me. This is my first serious install. I LOVE computers but have all the technical computing skills of warm Jello. I am more comfortable making lines on a damp clay tablet with a sharp stick and baking it in the sun.

Used Mandriva 2009 DVD, issue 97, Dec 2008, from LINUX Magazine. Install is quick & simple until it congratulates me and says remove disk and reboot. I get as far as "Verifying DMI Pool Data............." where it hangs for a few minutes then says "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". If I reinsert the disk I go straight to the first install page with the four options: reboot from hard disk, install Mandriva 2009, rescue system, memory test. Reboot from hard disk gives me "BOOTING FROM LOCAL DISK" where it hangs forever. install does the same thing as originally over and over (over 10X). Rescue system does not help no matter what combination of selections I try it will not boot. Memory test says my memory it just swell. I have booted with ACPI enabled and disabled. I have played with boot order in the BIOS.

I have 3 Gigs RAM, Dual core 3000 mgz processor, 3 250 MB hard drives in a 465 MB RAID5 array using NVIDIA software that came with it, a newer Mad Dog DVD, no floppy, and wiped, formatted hard drives.

I will greatly appreciate any help or suggestions I can get, particularly if they are simple as I am and detailed as to each step to take. Thanky much in Advance.

I have 3 Gigs RAM, Dual core 3000 mgz processor, 3 250 MB hard drives in a 465 MB RAID5 array using NVIDIA software that came with it, a newer Mad Dog DVD, no floppy, and wiped, formatted hard drives.

I have a feeling the RAID5 array is the issue. Is this pseudo-hardware raid that you set up from the bios bu then still requires a driver in Vista?

UNFORTUNATELY, i agree with BOTH of the previous answers.

I have NEVER been able to install with RAID present, and I have RECENTLY gotten a LOT of corrupted magazine disks.

One of the UK mags is using a new "green friendly" DVD which basically means its MUCH thinner than a DVD ought to be and they are VERY unreliable for me here in the US.

if I were you, I would put just ONE drive in to start with, add the raid later, and then download a CLEAN cd from MDV's site and start from there.

one of the most brilliant PC techs I know always told me, when all else fails strip it down to what you KNOW works and build from there!

it has saved me 100's of hours of frustration