k3b problem

mikeoneil

I use k3b 0.10 on mandrake 9.1

When I choose 'copy cd' with an audio cd it takes forever (seems to read at no faster than 2x) to make the image on the hard disk. Often it just hangs before it has finished reading.

If I use grip to write the .wav files it takes only 3 minutes, then I can burn using k3b just as quickly.

My question: is it normal that copying audio cd's using k3b takes so long? k3b 0.9 was also just as slow. Can I use a different encoder plug in with k3b? (I think grip was using cdaa2wav.)

Mike

I don't know about switching programs, although there are some choices in the setup as far as what you are using in your system. I use k3b for copying audio cd's, and it is not as slow as what you describe. I am using the default programs. Something's up in your system, but I don't think k3b should be that slow.

Maybe something to do with SCSI emulation? Do you have that enabled? I don't and I get this pop-up everytime I start k3b

No support for ATAPI with cdrdao

You will not be able to use all your reading devices as copy sources since there is at leasst one not configured to use SCSI emulation and your system does not support ATAPI with cdrdao.

Solution: The best and recommended solution is to enable ide-scsi (SCSI emulation) for all writer devices. This way you won't have any problems.

I have no problems with burning data, but I would if I would try copying from CD to CD, until I configure SCSI.

(not to hijack the thread, but I think this could be the solution to the problem) How do I enable SCSI emulation?

Maybe something to do with SCSI emulation? Do you have that enabled?

Yes, I have scsi emulation for the cd/rw. I'm trying to first read the audio cd in the cd/rw, then swap it for a blank disc for writing. But with k3b this is extremely slow (<2x). Using grip, I can get the wav files at 20x.

I also have a cdrom/dvd reader in the same machine. k3b gives the message you mention as apparently it only recognises scsi drives. I tried to emulate scsi on this drive also, but so far no progress. I don't mind at all using the same drive to read then write the disc, but the speed is a problem!

M.

Scoopy wrote:

(not to hijack the thread, but I think this could be the solution to the problem) How do I enable SCSI emulation?

open lilo.conf with a text editor of your choice. it's in /etc/lilo.conf.

edit or add the following line under the "append" section

append="devfs=mount hdX=ide-scsi hdX=ide-scsi acpi=off"

(where the hdX should be the letter of YOUR corresponding cd drives.)

save the file.

after you edit lilo.conf, go to terminal, su to root, then type:

lilo -v

hit enter, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Chris

My original problem has now been solved simply by RTFM (well using the 'whats this' mouse click help)!

Just before audio cd copying, open the advanced options tab, then set the value of cdparanoia mode. O is fastest but with no error correction, 3 is slowest with most error checking. The default was apparently 3.

Not all my time was wasted as in the meantime I now have both my drives as scsi emulated, and disabled supermount. k3b now sees them both and works great! I might reinstate supermount as it was working quite well.

Glad you found something that helped. I was RTFM too and found something interesting at:

http://k3b.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/index.pl/faq

I cannot select my ATAPI CD-ROM as reading device in the cd copy dialog.

K3b currently uses cdrdao to copy CDs. Since the most recent version of cdrdao (1.1.7) does not support ATAPI devices you can only select SCSI devices in the copy dialog. To be able to use your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM as reading device you may either enable ide-scsi or install the cvs version of cdrdao which supports ATAPI devices for reading.