rdesktop issues

RVDowning

Has anyone gotten rdesktop to work outside of a lan? Neither I nor my buddy, who is not running Mandriva, have been able to use rdesktop to connect to our office location which runs Windows XP. However, I can bring up VirtualBox and then WinXP and connect from WinXP. It would be nice not to have to bring up Windows.

Edited to note that we use tunneling. I believe it is this that is causing the problem. It is as though rdesktop is not using the tunneling ip, but is instead trying to go out over the network.

Edited by RVDowning

What IP are you using under Windows versus with rdesktop? If it is the same, and this is the IP that is going via the VPN tunnel, then it's not the tunelling causing the problem.

tsclient, rdesktop or whatever just works like the RDP client in Windows, so if your Windows XP Machine is working, then so should tsclient or rdesktop. I use it to connect via machines in two ways - to machines behind a firewall in the UK, and also across the VPN tunnel without problem.

I would say it's more to do with either the IP address you are using to try and connect, and/or a routing problem. If access via the firewall without no tunnel, then maybe the port is closed. If via the tunnel, then the port should be open since you can connect via Windows XP and Linux should also work.

We need to know how your network looks, and some idea of addresses (you can make up fake addresses for the posts, providing we can understand where they are all going. Here's mine:

Linux PC --> Home LAN --> Firewall --> Internet --> UK Firewall --> UK Office LAN --> PC's

that works for RDP if I use a public external IP which is assigned to the UK firewall and the appropriate port 3389 to connect to the machine. If it is the VPN tunnel, then I'm using internal IP addresses and not external ones but the end effect is the same in that it works and connects.