• Announcements

• spinynorman

Mandriva Official Documentation

Official documentation for extant versions of Mandriva can be found at doc.mandriva.com.   Documentation for the latest release may take some time to appear there. You can install all the manuals from the main repository if you have Mandriva installed - files are prefixed mandriva-doc.
    • paul

Forum software upgrade   10/29/17

So you may have noticed the forum software has upgraded !!!
      A few things that have changed. We no longer have community blogs (was never really used) We no longer have a portal page.
      We can discuss this, and decide whether it is needed (It costs money) See this thread: Here
Sign in to follow this  
zack

Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI

Guys,

It has been more then 3 years since the kernel driver is not working for Realtek chip.

During the Mandriva installation on 64bit system I've spent a couple of days trying to find out, where the problem comes from.

As for now I know it for sure the problem was r8169.ko driver for those cards which is not working for unknown reason.

For all who has same card you have to do following steps to turn your network on.

1. Download the last driver from Realtek web site.

2. Install either the kernel sources or just a devel version.

3. Build a driver module according to the instruction given in README file for driver

4. Remove or blacklist the old driver.

5. Don't forget to build the new initrd file with mkinird the_name_in_your_/boot_folder kernel_version

5.1. Before that remove or copy somewhere else the old initrd file.

Without the last step the new driver won't work!

P.S. Actually I'm wondering how long one has to do all these things instead of using the proper driver supplied with a kernel...

So far I know it's open source...

[moved from Networking by spinynorman]