Nvidia drivers black screen on Mandriva 2006

kowalsky

Hi All,

I've got my ATI X700 PRO fired, and yesterday I bought an MSI Video card Nvidia 8400 GS based chip 512 meg.

My linux box has 3 Os's : Mandriva 2008.1, Mandriva 2007.1 and Mandriva 2006.0 + Updates.

Mobo is Asus A8N5X.

Ive successfully downloades and installed the latest Driver from Nvidia site and both Mdv 2007 and Mdv 2008 are working ok.

The Mdv 2006 OS lock the screen and the keyboard starting Xorg by using the nvidia driver.

It works fine when using the Vesa driver at 1280x1024.

The keyboard only accept alt-ctrl-del to restart the system which, in the meanwile, continues working fine if used from a remote ssh session.

Xorg log says that Nvidia in an Unknowk chip type, but it start loading and get the lock starting the RENDER acceleration, just before loading glx libs.

Any help?

Does the Nvidia driver run on Mandiriva 2006 distro?

I've seen into the Nvidia installer that even older Mandrake modules are available.

My 2006 box has 3 Kernels: 2.6.12 2.6.15 and 2.6.17 and all of these get the black screen lock.

Thanks in advance

Roberto

Hi,

If you run NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.31-pkg1 -x cmd you get a folder containing the Nvidia installer.

looking here : NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.31-pkg1/usr/src/nv/precompiled you will find tons of precompiled modules for older kernels and distro (included several Mandrake starting from 8.2 release) so, at least officially, it seems that the 2006 distro in not considered too old to run the native nvidia driver.

Thank

Roberto