kernel 2.6.29.6-desktop-586-1mnb

Hi there. I have on my computer Md2009.1. I updated the system and the kernel 2.6.29.6-desktop-586-1mnb was insatlled. After reboot the kernel doesn't start. I had to boot my comp with the old kernel 2.6.29.3-desktop586-1mnb

there is something wrong with 2.6.29.6 or I missed something?

thanks

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Hi hirohitosan,

Was there any error messages when you boot this new kernel? If you don't see any because of Mandriva logo screen, press ESC to view verbose mode and then make a note of any errors from the screen and post here so we can see what might be the problem.

I would say that this has some sort of problem with initrd not being generated correctly for this kernel. You can generate it again easily enough by booting your previous kernel and then using the mkinitrd command.

An example:

mkinitrd initrd-2.6.17-5mdv.img 2.6.17-5mdv

of course, an initrd will exist for the 2.6.29 kernel you've installed, so you'll need to rename it first to something else before creating a new initrd. Then see after that if it reboots. Replace my version numbers above with the actual 2.6.29 kernel version by checking whats in the /boot directory.

Make sure to keep the filename format of the initrd exactly the same as the existing 2.6.29 initrd.