Mounting a Second Hard Drive

steves850

OK, I guess nano isn't installed. After the su, you can do:

urpmi nano

to install it, then repeat process again to edit file:

nano -w /etc/fstab

I did this and it seemed to work but now when I restart my PC it boots into a terminal instead of the desktop :wall:

I deleted the # and I have recovered the desktop, I believe some files were copied over to the new hdd that are essential to the functionality of my desktop. I am debating install the Alpha 2 release and chocking this up to a learning experience...

Edited by steves850

alpha 2 is a testing/beta release so I wouldn't recommend it unless you like unstable systems :)

It shouldn't have caused your system to boot to a terminal, something is wrong with your installation if that is the case. If /dev/sdb1 is your /var partition then this must remain, but I don't know which partition you created that you wanted to use and mount as it's not clear from all the posts here.

Alternatively, clean install your system again to /dev/sda like you did before, but don't try and mount your second hard disk to /var - try to mount it somewhere else. For example:

mkdir /data
mount /dev/sdb1 /data

and it won't be used by the system directories like when you gave it to /var and got more problems. Of course, since it's mounted to /var you cannot mount it to /data so I think your just better off starting again with a new clean installation than attempting to repair something that doesn't seem to work how it should have done.