Mounting a Second Hard Drive

steves850

First off, I want to apologize if this is a duplicate post, I searched and searched but didn't come across anything. I have Mandriva 2009.1 installed on my HP DV9608nr and I love it. Most stable Linux OS I've come across and I've tried many. Unfortunately I cannot get my second hard drive to mount. I've used the partitioning tool formatted and set the mount point, all that good stuff but I keep receiving the same error msg. "an error occurred while accessing 'Volume (ext3)', The system responded: org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy: org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed auth_admin_keep_always <--(action,result) ". As far as I can tell I have all the permissions to make any adjustments needed. Thanks for any assistance in advanced! :wall:

Just for the heck of it I mounted it to /var and it no longer showed up on the side as locations this is the results;

# Entry for /dev/sda1 :

UUID=4097790b-892b-48c2-9953-e242a991b44e / ext3 defaults 1 1

# Entry for /dev/sda6 :

UUID=8139ea13-822c-4a8e-871c-0fd497626f3f /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

# Entry for /dev/sdb1 :

UUID=93c84642-4c4a-4e34-a9b5-5786a1a17218 /var ext3 defaults 1 2

# Entry for /dev/sda5 :

UUID=83e037f4-b42b-4ba1-8af6-22bd811f9dad swap swap defaults 0 0

I'm still relatively a noob to linux, is there a better mount point?

Yes, uncomment the partition that is in /etc/fstab that relates to /var and reboot your system. Then it won't mount as /var and you can then use the partition for something else. Of course, assuming that /dev/sdb1 is your partition that you mounted as /var as this is what I gather from the /etc/fstab you posted above but correct me if I'm wrong about that.

From your above post:

# Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
UUID=93c84642-4c4a-4e34-a9b5-5786a1a17218 /var ext3 defaults 1 2

this is the var line. Is this the disk partition you are trying to unmount? If so, change /etc/fstab so it looks like this:

# Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
#UUID=93c84642-4c4a-4e34-a9b5-5786a1a17218 /var ext3 defaults 1 2

see I put a # in front of the line so that it will be ignored. I meant comment the line out, not uncomment - I made a typo before :)

So, if this is the partition you are trying to unmount, do this and when you reboot it won't be mounted and you can do what you want with it after. If it is mounted and /var is in use, you cannot unmount it manually, you will need to reboot whole system. That is why you get "device is busy" because /var is in use.

Ahh, Thank you I apologize for my ignorance. Unfortunately when I attempt to comment the line out I receive the following error. "The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to /etc/fstab. I gave myself permission and obviously when I mounted the drive to /var (like an idiot) it saved. Can I replace it with fstab.old? I see that in the same folder and I tried manually overwriting it but I keep getting denied. Thank you again for dealing with noobs lol.

I'm using Mandriva One 2009.1 KDE. Still no luck

[steve@localhost ~]$ su -

Password:

[root@localhost ~]# /etc/fstab

-bash: /etc/fstab: Permission denied

[root@localhost ~]#

also tried it with the "-" same results.

Just doing:

/etc/fstab

won't do anything as it's trying to run a command. Try:

nano -w /etc/fstab

after the su or su -. Then put the # in front of the line. Then press CTRL-X and press Y when you are prompted if you want to save the file.

I tried the su and the su - i tried the it on one line and like this. same results.. I hope I'm just an idiot.

[steve@localhost ~]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost steve]# nano -w /etc/fstab

bash: nano: command not found

[root@localhost steve]# -w /etc/fstab

bash: -w: command not found

[root@localhost steve]#