Mandriva 2009.1 - nVidia driver [solved]

Kazel

The drivers supplied by Mandriva are perfectly fine for nVidia cards. The easiest way to set it all up is via MCC->HARDWARE->Set up the graphical display. Select your card from a drop down menu and the correct driver and supporting kernel headers etc will be installed for you. Just follow the natural flow of the dialogs and you will be fine. That's why it's so easy. I used to compile the drivers until they were supplied by the Mandriva distribution.

The drivers supplied by Mandriva are perfectly fine for nVidia cards. The easiest way to set it all up is via MCC->HARDWARE->Set up the graphical display. Select your card from a drop down menu and the correct driver and supporting kernel headers etc will be installed for you. Just follow the natural flow of the dialogs and you will be fine. That's why it's so easy. I used to compile the drivers until they were supplied by the Mandriva distribution.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. There is no working automated way to install the proper driver for the videocard.

You GOT to know if your videocard is supported by the regular, or the legacy driver ( http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/185.18.29/README/appendix-a.html ) and act accordingly.

I have just checked your link Scarecrow and according to the list my card requires the legacy driver yet it installs perfectly well via the control center. One needs to select from the choices given in the combo box the correct card that is installed.

Maybe I didn't make it clear on that point. As you say the driver is not installed automatically, one has to make the choice and then the correct driver and supporting files will be installed.

If the card or card family are not listed then I assume the card is not supported and will not install via the above method.

Is Mandriva supplied driver is better than driver that I've downloaded from nvida.com???

No, they are the same, but the Mandriva supplied driver might be a little older (in version).

I used nVidia GeForce 5500 FX with legacy driver 173XXX...

That is correct.

No, they are the same, but the Mandriva supplied driver might be a little older (in version).

Well...

I guess I no longer need to spent my time to try installing my nVidia driver with downloaded driver....

There's no different installing nvidia driver from the nvidia website, or from Mandriva's packs....

Case Closed.... :joker:

Thanks everyone.... :luv: