2 Questions about USB devices

satellites101

I have a samsung digimax 200 digital camera. Under windows it is recognized as a removeable drive. I would like to know how to use this camera under Mandrake Linux 9.1.

When I cnnect the device to the USB port and turn it on nothing happens. I checked under Harddrake to see if it was detecting it. It is detected as a samsung mass storage device, and it says module unknown. I tried a few things I seen on the forums but nothing worked. I tried mount /dev/sda1 -t vfat /mnt//Digimax after creating a directory for it. It returned that this device does not exist. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The other USB problem I am having is with a saitek P-150 action pad game controller. It recognizes it as a Human Interface Device, just like windows, but it says module unknown there as well. I have read somewhere on a forum that another guy was using one of these. In his post he said he plugged it in and it worked. Mine isn't happening this way. Any help would be gretly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

satellites101 :shock:

• 1 month later...
Guest A1bertFish

Have you tried reading the contents of the camera through the console as root? I have an external USB hd that did something similar. You could try mounting at boot (which is what I did...fired up emacs through the console and edited my /etc/fstab to mount the usb drive just like it does my dump hard drive). Can't help with the game pad, although I'll probably end up facing that problem soon enough (I'm still fighting with some of my other USB stuff before I even bother with my game pad). Also, your camera might not come up as sda1, so check that too.

Sorry if that wasn't much help. I'm still a newbie. But I'm trying! :-D

When I hooked up my camera I just did a "tail -n50 /var/log/syslog" as root and it told me explicity that it found it "mass storage" and all, and that it was /dev/sda1. I then "mkdir /mnt/camera" and "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera" and pulled the files. Couldn't have been easier. I would read the end of your syslog directly after hooking up the camera and doing anything you need to do to the camera to get it ready to "be connected" to the computer.