GNOME file manager disk icons are not working.

Roberto Oropeza

Hello, I have a problem, when I double click my hard disk icons in the left panel of the GNOME file manager the computer does nothing. Yap, not error message nor beep, just nothing. By now I just can open them going to the place in the tree where I mounted them ( /mnt/c and /mnt/d ).

I think the problem started when I modified my fstab file to mount them in /mnt/c and /mnt/d and not in /mnt/win_c and /mnt/win_d. The disk icons are accessible from Krusader (a KDE application for managing files), so I think it has something to do with GNOME.

What can I do to use the icons again?

Gnome works weirdly with disk icons, i could never understand it myself. If those discs are mounted and you are able to access them, than it is better to bookmark those locations so you can jump there quickly when you want. Bookmarks will appear in a panel on a left of nautilus window.

Yes, you'll have to put it back as it was.

Gnome isn't the problem here as such either - it's more the way it's been set up by the distro maintainer. I don't have any problems with my USB disks or USB sticks but if I change these mount points, then I have problems with Gnome. This was because udev/hald should be dealing with mounting the disks and it wasn't.

The other alternative is to remove or comment out the lines you have in your fstab, and then when you click the disks in Gnome, udev/hald will deal with mounting them and you'll find it to be much much better.