A comment about the LG CD problem

Guest J.T.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/sh...threadid=106105

Here's what I did to get the cr-rw to work again. It might or might not work for you depending on your set-up....

I have a master & slave hard drive, and a master and slave cd (well, I did have 2 cd drives till I installed 9.2).

I had to set up the cd-rw to run as the primary slave drive on ide ribbon 1 useing the jumper settings. The drive seems to read and write just fine, but look at the hassle & cost...

Now it's a big deal if I want to access my slave hard drive having to swap the ribbons around :x

I'll stay on it till I find a sullotion that gets everything working as it use to...Thanx a million mandrake team...ya'll have an extra cdrom lying around you can give up on ?

Mandrake9.2

free download, but it'll cost you your first born cd drive to install :wink:

Mandrake's catching a lotta flack about this, but it's actually a hardware problem. LG should never have made the drive vulnerable to such a thing happening. Nobody else's drives are.

There's a bunch of stuff about this on Cooker. Seem's a kernel patch is the culprit. But unless one of the developers or beta testers had this particular drive the problem would've never shown up and there's no way Mandrake could've or would've known. They con't control or be responsible for LG's fsck-ups. Give 'em a break...

That is my conclusion as well. LG is on my DO NOT USE list. I do not fault Mandrake for this issue. As it is, only certain LG drives are affected. (Maybe the ones that can only work in windows?? :lol: )

Yeah, LG sucks. Too bad that most people get them in their pre-built systems, and don't really buy them by choice.

LG has stated to Mandrake at least that they don't support Linux, so I won't ever support them... I mean, what if it was happening on Windows? Would they jump then? Probably... Bastards.