Slow start times with K3b in MD 9.2

Guest Cyclops

Guest Cyclops

Anyone else having slow start times with K3b when in Mandrake 9.2? On my box, it takes forever to start K3b because of the "scanning for devices" issue on every startup.

Anyone know of a fix? Thanks in advance... :)

Same here. The problem seems to be that my regular cd drive is not running under scsi emulation which is necessary for k3b to use it as a read device. After a long scan it reports this "error". Well I don't really want to use it as a read device and I don't want it to run under scsi emulation. Haven't found anyway to work around it yet.

Guest Cyclops

Okay, thanks for the replies. Sorry you two are having the same problem but I am glad to know that it's not just my machine.

I might try the updated K3b to see if it helps.

hmmmmm........

before i go through K3b hell again, are there any issues with running the new K3b as normal user & drives not being recognized? does the rpm maintain all previous settings, or do you have to run K3b setup anew? some of you may remember my past troubles with K3b not recognizing my burner as normal user....... :roll:

EDIT:

also, does this version of K3b work in MDK9.1?

Chris

I think your k3b doesn't recognize a normal user because there is a bug or something that changes the permission of cdrecord (among other cdburning utilites) wrongly when you do the root k3bsetup. Change those utilities to the correct permission and it should work as normal user. That happened to me too :)

Anyway, k3b should remember your settings if you just upgrade (ala urpmi or rpm -Fvh). I upgraded my k3b many times whenever texstar created a new version and the settings are still saved.

hmmmmm........

before i go through K3b hell again, are there any issues with running the new K3b as normal user & drives not being recognized? does the rpm maintain all previous settings, or do you have to run K3b setup anew? some of you may remember my past troubles with K3b not recognizing my burner as normal user....... :roll: 

Chris

Just some thoughts here, chris.

- I read your thread about the 'upgrading 9.1 to 9.2'. At the moment I would not suggest to do this because you have the Texstar KDE 3.1.4 - you'd get a mess in 9.2

- A fresh install of 9.2 on a separate partition - and keeping your running 9.1 - and afterwards installing k3b_0.10: you'll see that there is no 'root k3b setup', not needed. The fstab is not touched. No need of playing with permissions. You just start k3b as user. That's it. If needed the configuration of k3b can be done and controlled within k3b.

ok.....i shoulda worded my questions better......let me clarify a few things.......

i currently have no problems with K3b. the permissions mess is long behind me (i hope :oops: ). what i wanted to know is, if this newer version of K3b will touch or alter my current permissions & screw with fstab. also, i am running MDK9.1 & have NO desire to upgrade to 9.2 after reading through the many, many threads (both here & afar) about the many, many troubles that 9.2 is causing. (gawd, am i glad i just didn't dive right in & get 9.2!) so, that being said, can this newer version of K3b be installed on MDK9.1, or is it built specifically for 9.2? and, that leads me to a third question.......what are the new features in the latest version of K3b? are there many improvements? if so, what are they?

Chris

-Chris, pmpatick and I were talking about the k3b 0.10 release for 9.2.

- Dragon talked about the k3b releases for 9.1 by Texstar - the most recent is: k3b 0.10 (but a different rpm) - you can find it here in the MUB download area.

(OT: maybe you don't believe me - but I am really happy with 9.2, no joking, I didn't find it hard to change some settings, and didn't install the official updates, my system is really faster, much more responsive, the rendering of webpages in Opera is a wonder ... lol, ok, I'll stop here.)

Guest Cyclops

I tried that already but got a message saying K3b was already installed.

Won't the newer version overwrite the older one, or do I need to uninstall the old version before installing the new? Thanks! :)