gnome vs kde

GodFlesh

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know.. I found something that surprises me in this KDE vs Gnome battle. It seems that Gnome 2.4 actually uses more memory than KDE 3.1.4. It's not a lot of difference, only a few megs or so.. but for someone who are used to the idea that Gnome is a less memory hog than KDE, it's a bit surprising. 

Guess what application uses the most memory in gnome? That's right.. it's nautilus...

No :shock:....did you really have to guess that? :wink: Graphics and its libs use more mem than anything else...and that's what nautilus is. It IS half of gnome, unlike konq that's a much smaller part of a DE that does the graphics/libs.....apples and oranges :wink:

Yes, it's become quite a hog. Play a dvd for 2 hours and look at your resources. My swap that's usually barely touched will be half used :shock:

KD EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

/me looks at rcxau  :evil:

Im fence sittin now as I told you in #musb. I dont have time to waste arguing with silly zealots like you.

Besides

FLUXBOX RULES!!!

www.fluxbox.org

fb-button.png

OROBORUS!!!

www.oroborus.org

Only 63 KB!!!! AND IS XPM THEMABLE!!!

snake-logo-small.png

headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif

This is a bit like Wendy's vs BK vs McDo's...

were comparing eye kandy, mem usage etc. all in the same comparison.

Its a case of what else you use etc.

Using KDE but not Konqueror is not efficient. If you take the whole package then it works well and mem usage isn't too bad.

If you use minimalist flux,blackbox or whatever then as you open apps you get less efficient. Also it seems the tendancy to make them lok pretty which uses more memory etc etc.

In the end it depends what your trying to do.

You can do a lot without X and its much more 'efficient' until you want to do 5 things at once.

Then copy/paste across tty's gets a bit tedious.

OK so X with no WM ...

Then it would be nice to have a graphical browser etc etc.

I use KDE becuase I tend to be doing a lot at the same timeand KDE gets more efficient as you use it more. If I wanted a POS prog where you tap in a code and its rings up the till then NO WM would be more efficient.

In the end we are looking at our high cholersterol/fat meals and saying yeah theyre great but i want it the same but with all the fat taken out ....

But its all the fat and cholersterol we want .....

If you look at evolution, its a mem hog... but it does lots. If you part use it but use kmail for POP mail and something else for news and ... then its not efficient. Better to choose lots of minimalist apps or one megalithic one that does everything becuause combining them just leads to 90% of the big app being unused.

Everything is the same....

Look at Office apps

StarOffice is great if you need it. SAIG is basic but works too. But if you use only the WP from Star/Open Office then your opening the massive app just for one thing. If you have 5 speadsheets and 3 docs open and a couple of presentations and your cutting and pasting then OO makes sense. If you just wanna write a letter then SIAG (name escapes me) will do it perfectly well and much more efficiently.

• 2 weeks later...

Give me heavyweight, high cholesterol, high fat, oversized, mem hogging, RAM busting, CPU overheating KDE any day.

I still prefer a non low-fat burger or whatever, cause it tastes better.

I just can't wait till my 3 gig RAM motherboard gets replaced with that 4gig, athlon64 FX, motherboard :jester:

If we were meant to still be using 8080's or something then 3.2G P4's would never have taken off right?

Got a mem hog? Get more mem :P

Seeya.

actually it's linux that's the mem hog, not the de's. Run flux for a couple of hours, give or take, and you'll be using the same resources (giv or take time depending on your available resources, but it will happen....it's linux/kernel/OS....not wm/de)

Oh, GNOME

I've never found that running WindowMaker. I do also have ample memory, so perhaps that is part of it. Or maybe it is the fact that my desktop is a aesthetically pleasing manner of running multiple terminals a lot of the time. :jester:

I just don't like Gnome. It doesn't feel complete to me and it looks ugly. KDE I like, but I find a little slow, but eye candy is cool and feels complete. Personally, I use Flux. Very fast, doesn't take much memory and looks awsome. As for a file manager, ROX is the way to go. Very fast, stable, and configurable, but sometimes I do miss KDE and go boot into it occasionally.