gnome vs kde

GodFlesh

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I correct in believing that Gnome -Mouse-configuration still only gives you the choice (?????) of double clicking.??? in Mandy9.2 KDE gives you the real choice of double or single clicking and I definately prefer single clicking. This is where it all starts so to me THIS IS important. I also found the overall look of Gnome to be dull and old fashioned.

And the arguments that this is faster than that is nothing more than prententious hair splitting and in other than life and death issues is irrelevant except to those who are constantly being pretentious about "their knowledge".

Cheers. John (69yrs young)

I'm looking at Gnome on my erstatz 9.2 (did urpmi --auto-select from 9.1, on a test system only) and my Debian. On each I set single click on the mouse (sorry I'm on KDE right now and can't remember which of the menus). My question for Gnome is how to set the number of virtual desktops. I still do not like Nautilus, vastly prefering Konqueror. Anyway for the single click it's there somewhere on the Gnome configuration menus (but not the mouse menu!).

I love my blackbox, with the bbconf tool for easy configuration

This seems to run smoother than anything else Ive tried. I like not using the gnome or kde interface, but having them installed so I can use all the apps.

Maybe this only apears to run better.

Cheers

Thank you for informing where in Gnome you can set up for single click. Actually this information further reinforces my feelings about Gnome NOT being as intuitive as KDE.

My thanks to you all still stand. Cheers. java script:emoticon(':)') John

I agree that it should be in gnome-mouse-properties. It's been a part of nautilus for a loOOOooog time, just like the background and other features. Someone new to linux/gnome wouldn't know this....and it should be moved. You can say "Gnome NOT being as intuitive as KDE" but if it was, it wouldn't be the gnome I love.....the gnome that gives me control of how thing run and are done....the gnome that's all about choice. I don't want a gnome that says..."here's your desktop....along with the other 50 features your never use" :lol:

PekWM, PekWM, PekWM PeeeeeeeeekWM :-)

takes less ram than fluxbox and blakbox yet offers true pixmap themes.

has window grouping (tabs), autoproperties, dynamic menus anda powerful keygrabber.

combine it with a few dockapps and some launcher and you have a great looking, lightweight easy to use desktop.

cheers,

Alaa

You know.. I found something that surprises me in this KDE vs Gnome battle. It seems that Gnome 2.4 actually uses more memory than KDE 3.1.4. It's not a lot of difference, only a few megs or so.. but for someone who are used to the idea that Gnome is a less memory hog than KDE, it's a bit surprising.

Guess what application uses the most memory in gnome? That's right.. it's nautilus..