gnome vs kde

GodFlesh

When i first tried Linux, i was under KDE.

I didn't like the big K, the look of the clock, the fact that you have to use kmail and konqueror. Why all this K apps ? All this menus were overwhelmed by icons and options...

I then tried gnome. A cute foot, nice icons, simple and straightforward interface... So nice !

For my work, i manipulate a lot of files (reports, articles, pictures...) and have been really dispointed by the sluggish feel of gnome nautilus.... (the files are on a windows server mounted with samba)

So i decided to give konqueror a run from gnome. Much better ! I decided it was time to give kde a new look. I made some customization of the clock and icons. Still using mozilla for mail and web. And man, their konqueror is one really nice file manager. Far faster than nautilus. And with so many nice options, like layout for example !

I think i will keep kde for now on just because of konqueror...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually it's linux that's the mem hog, not the de's. Run flux for a couple of hours, give or take, and you'll be using the same resources (giv or take time depending on your available resources, but it will happen....it's linux/kernel/OS....not wm/de)

Oh, GNOME

I used KDE for the first 2 years I was on Linux. This summer, I'd given some thought to Red Hat certification, so I installed RH9.

I didn't like RH's KDE implementation, so I just used their default Gnome.

After a while (3 months), I grew to *hate* Red Hat (maybe that's too strong a word....) for a variety of reasons (not pertinent to this post) so I went back to Mandrake.

In doing so, I realized I had gotten used to Gnome. I actually sat down and pondered it for a while, as I was a strong KDE advocate.

What I realized was that I had nothing against KDE- I just *didn't notice* Gnome. Not that KDE ever got in the way. I just liked the simplicity of Gnome.

The one thing I don't like about KDE is the trend towards the bright blue icons. I'm not an icon artist, and I don't like having to spend hours setting up custom icons. I like to choose a set and be done with it. I like Gnome icons right out of the box.

Now when I'm helping someone learn to use Linux, I always suggest KDE. The transition is easier for them, from what I've observed, when they are coming from that other OS.

I prefer KDE's file dialog's by far to Gnome's. (Ximain Desktop 2 has nice ones, but they don't make that for Mandrake.) I like Nautilus better than Konqueror, and it has gotten quite a bit speedier with Gnome 2.4.

What I really wish for is more of a "mix and match". Like terminal emulation in the file manager...... that's great.

I guess the great thing is whether you like Gnome, KDE or any other WM, Linux gives you the *choice* of what to use.