IMPORTANT! READ ME! LG CDrom drives

illogic-al

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each of you should report to Mandrake which is working. I have already seen another member of our community toast his drive, so it is a real problem. It may be model specific, so please file a report with Mandrake. LG is clearly not cooperating with linux, so there is no help from the manufacturer. (Actually, I place them on the undesirable list! :wink: )

this is what's on the mandrake errata for 9.2:

Error scenario: Installing 9.2 and being told unable to install the base system and subsequent reboot reveals that CD-ROM is physically dead.

Why: According to LG Electronics, their ODD (Optical Disc Drive) products do not support Linux nor do they test with Linux. Unfortunately, many Dell computers (possibly others) come with these CD-ROM drives.

Solution: Currently there is no solution or work-around for this issue; it is still under investigation. Damage occurs even when doing a network install. At this point, please do not install Mandrake Linux 9.2 on any computer containing a LG-based CD-ROM or it will damage your CD-ROM! We are actively looking for a solution to this problem.

Well, that sucks, I guess I'll be waiting alitle longer to install 9.2....
you have one of those CDs?

No, I ordered the download edition on CD from www.cheapbytes.com but it should be here tommorrow or monday.

Does anybody know if it's the installer or the driver? If it's just he installer, I could just dissable that drive for the install and use my burner, then reconnect the LG once I'm done installing.

disconnect the LG then install.

Guest korskarn

I have a LG GCC-4480B 48x/24x/48x/16x CD-RW/DVD

Mandrake 9.2 installed fine (CD install) and I am currently listening an audio CD on it, and the drive is still alive

Has anyone found out if it is the installer or the driver that causes this?

from GC cooker ML

[Cooker] [iMPORTANT] [uPDATED: origin of the problem found] 9.2 install potentially frying some LG cdrom drives

Guillaume Cottenceau <gc@mandrakesoft.com>

To: 

cooker@linux-mandrake.com

CC: 

expert@linux-mandrake.com

Date: 

Today 05:12:39 pm

Guillaume Cottenceau <gc@mandrakesoft.com> writes:

> For the moment, it seems it's related to LG CRD-84xx drives.

Ok, here's status: Nicolas Planel found the origin of the

problem. It's the "packet writing support" for cd/dvd burners

that was introduced on 15th of August, changelog reading:

- 2.4.22-rc2q5.

[...]

* add packet cdvd support (svetoslav).

What amazes me is that we've had it in the kernel of 9.2-RC1 and

9.2-RC2, and it still managed to be, erhm, "featured", in the

final version. All people who say we should do more beta and RC

versions see that such a big problem passed one month of

RC-testing... Real problem would perhaps be to enlarge our

testing community? Anyway, that's not the topic for this day :).

I've passed suggestions to our management as to what to do now -

I think we should act *fast* and be responsible, but I don't know

what will be decided exactly.

By the way, latest list:

fried:

COMPAQ CRD-8322B(CP1)

CRD-8400B (machine: Dell Optiplex gx1)

CRD-8400B (machine: IBM PC 300 PL)

CDR-8400B(mi)

CRD-8400C

COMPAQ CRD-8402B

LG CRD-8480C (machine: Old Dell XPS T650r)

GCR-8481B (machine: Dell Optiplex gx270; rom: 1.06; date: jun 2003)

CRD-8482B (machine: Dell Optiplex GX1)

GOLDSTAR CDR-8482B (machine: HP Vectra VL400; firmware: 1.01)

CRD-8482B (Dell Precision 220, rom: 1.05)

LG ???? (machine: HP Vectras VL4xx)

GCC 4480B DVD/CD-R/RW/CDROM (firmware 1.00 - upgrading firmware to 1.01 workarounds problem)

work:

LG GMA-4020B DVD-RW

LG GCC-4120B CDRW/DVD

LG CD-RW CED-8080B DVD/CD-R/RW/CDROM

LG CD-RW CED-8120B (motherboard: ASUS K7M)

HL-DT-ST GCC-4480B (machine: Shuttle SB 62 G2 - i865/ICH5; firmware 1.01 - WARNING, firmware 1.00 is reported to have the fry problem!)

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B (motherboard: ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe)

HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8161B (motherboard: Soyo)

HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8240B

HL-DT-ST GCE-8481B CD-CDRW (chipset: SIS 651/962)

HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8520B

HL-DT-ST GCE-8520B (motherboard: ASUS P4P800)

-- 

Guillaume Cottenceau -http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/

What on earth could a software program do to burn up a cdrom drive???

Here is my take on this issue Ixthusdan

This is a drive problem. The LG CD-ROM firmware did not stick to the established standards. Probably due to cost cuts to 'save a buck'.

Where LG says that they do not test or support their drives in Linux is just a cop-out, this is just a standard cover your ass policy when problems crop up.

Devices are supposed to protect eeprom registers... they should be out of the way, where nothing will go for starters, and they should only be accessible through special routines (i.e. flash program)(thanks Grogan)

If a developer can brake (fry a chip) a CD-ROM with software, something is wrong with that drive model. How can anyone develop any device driver, if you are always at risk of burning the device out?

No doubt that this issue will be resolved very soon as to what actually happened and why it happened.

LG is not exactly the pinacle of CDRom making anyway. And CDRom drives are so cheap right now, they pretty much give it away. I mean, if I can get a CDRW for about 15 dollars (that's right.. I once bought a NEW CDRW from Fry's at about that much), how much can a CDrom be? I once saw a 4th of July Ad that sells CDROM drives for free (after rebate), so you can guess that shoddy engineering cause LG CDROMs to die if pushed just a little bit.

And if the CDROM is part of your store bought computer.. look again who make it.. (and no.. dell computers are actually worse than a white box computer nowadays, just see the article by Joe Barr in NewsForge).

Guest Dinamitci

I got a LG CD-RW CED-8081B which also works fine in Mandrake 9.2.

System specs:

AMD XP 1700+ | 256MB DDR | 80GB 7200 RPM | MSI K7T 266a PRO2 RU | GF4 Ti4200 128MB DDR+TV-out+DVI | Audigy Player | Logitech Z-640 |

Well, that sucks, I guess I'll be waiting alitle longer to install 9.2....
you have one of those CDs?

No, I ordered the download edition on CD from www.cheapbytes.com but it should be here tommorrow or monday.

Does anybody know if it's the installer or the driver? If it's just he installer, I could just dissable that drive for the install and use my burner, then reconnect the LG once I'm done installing.

disconnect the LG then install.
oh yeah, then KEEP it disconnected. at least until a kernel update or LG fixes the problem.