Linux Laptops Bestsellers in Germany

tux99

"A look at the current (23rd July 2009) Amazon Germany Laptop/Notebook bestsellers list will be a nice surprise for any desktop Linux advocate and possibly a worry for Microsoft and Apple sales executives. At the time of writing there are two Laptops with pre-installed Linux in the top ten bestsellers, both in front of the first bestselling Apple Laptop."

Read more at www.linuxtech.net.

Is this just a fad, or is it a sign that Microsoft's OS stranglehold is slowly eroding?

What's wrong with you all here? :unsure: ;)

This story is one of the most read and talked about Linux news stories of the day, but here on mandrivausers no one seems to take notice...

www.bmighty.com

www.linuxtoday.com

It's even causing a offended reaction among snobbish Apple fanbois... ;)

www.reddit.com

I read it yesterday, but didn't have anything to comment :)

Yesterday I was thinking it was a bit early to think that Microsofts stranglehold is slowly eroding. I don't know what the latest figures are for how many Linux desktops/notebooks are out there, and I don't even remember what it was before but wasn't too high from what I remember.

What was interesting today is that Microsoft's profits are down by a lot, and their share price eroded 7% when the news was released. What we don't know is why, but I expect Vista had something to do with it, even though Microsoft claim that Vista sales have been a success.

This story is one of the most read and talked about Linux news stories of the day, but here on mandrivausers no one seems to take notice...
What's there to say? "Awesome!"?

It's even causing a offended reaction among snobbish Apple fanbois... ;)
Must be some dumb Apple fanboys then:

1 - Most people who buy Apple buy directly from Apple, not through a third party like Amazon.

2 - The Apple laptops are significantly more expensive, which obviously will cause them to have less sales then less expensive laptops.

This only reflects sales on Amazon.de, it's not really a good metric for determining anything beyond that - i.e. that they're the "Bestsellers in Germany", as the title of this thread reads. Or even that it's a sign that Microsofts "stranglehold" is declining, for that matter.

Edited by tyme

Is this just a fad, or is it a sign that Microsoft's OS stranglehold is slowly eroding?

Most definately this is a sign (no matter how small) of some erosion. It's a shame they managed to slow down the march of GNU/Linux on netbooks in general. Let's not forget in days gone by there were other big players before micro$oft chipped away at their market share. No-one is safe forever!