KDE Failing [solved]

tschwenke

I have been a Mandriva user for about 6 years and it has been great. This is the first issue that I am really lost on. I am a low level newbie.. hey, when something works I don't have to dig into it, until now.

Yesterday I was XDM'd into the system and it said there was an update. I hit the update and it said it could not complete due to a missing dependancy. I 'aborted' and then went to add the dependency. I don't remember exactly, but it was libkde...4.2.4 or something. Started that and I got a failure.

Now I can not launch KDE. All I get is:

"Could not start kdeinit4. Check your installation".

I went into ICE and tired to launch mmc, but it will not launch. I can open firefox and other things but am real clueless on how to fix this issue!

In addtion, when I launch if I esc to see the process it looks like it I am now getting a failure on the Nvidia load. I don't know if I was getting that before or not.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman

Edited by tschwenke

How are you trying to launch KDE. You say you you can launch Firefox and things which leads me to believe that you login at a command prompt. If this is so when you have logged in type 'startx' and see what you get. Let's know what happens. If I am wrong please state how you are logging in.

If I am at the boot screen and I switch to ICE, I can login and get a "start menu". I however can not load any of the k tools (konsole/mcc).

I just tried to putty/Xming in from windows and I can get the console and services are all running.

when I try to launch mcc, I get.

[travis@TAS-Server conf]$ mcc
Can't load '/usr/lib/libDrakX/auto/c/stuff/stuff.so' for module c::stuff: /usr/lib/libpci.so.3: version `LIBPCI_3.1' not found (required by /usr/lib/libldetect.so.0.8) at /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 203.
at /usr/lib/libDrakX/c.pm line 5
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/libDrakX/c.pm line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/libDrakX/c.pm line 5.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/libDrakX/log.pm line 6.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/libDrakX/log.pm line 6.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/libDrakX/common.pm line 8.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/libDrakX/common.pm line 8.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/mcc line 28.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/mcc line 28.
[travis@TAS-Server conf]$

when I try to launch a knosole

[travis@TAS-Server conf]$ konsole &
[1] 4377
[travis@TAS-Server conf]$ konsole: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_konsole.so: undefined symbol: _ZN7QTabBar9hideEventEP10QHideEvent

[1]+  Exit 127                konsole
[travis@TAS-Server conf]$

Looks like libkdecore.so throws an error when I trie to launch dolphin. Wow, what a mess....

Thanks for the quick responses.. Thankfully I can still get putty to connect from upstairs (this just runs as my apache/file/proxy server in the basement).

It is running the update... on 859 of 1395,thanks again, I will report success or failure when complete.

After the update the system came back up and I can log in, although I am still being told there is an update. It looked like it was using 2009.1 for the repository. I am going to reboot and then check. How do I find out if I am running the right versions? (kernel/KDE)

Just a question, do you usually try to run mcc from a terminal using your normal user and then put the root password or you just can run it without it?

If I run mcc from my user no matter how (local login, putty shell w/X, XDMCP) I am prompted for the password. If I su - first then I am not prompted, how it should be.

After the update the system came back up and I can log in, although I am still being told there is an update. It looked like it was using 2009.1 for the repository. I am going to reboot and then check.

You might just need to update your repositories first. Run:
urpmi.update -a

As you are remote logging in from within your house it doesn't really matter how you run mcc. Personally if I want to call up mcc I always log in as a normal user then use su. Most of the time I don't bother with the graphical interface.

lsb_release -d; konqueror --version; uname -r

Description:    Mandriva Linux 2009.1
Qt: 4.5.2
KDE: 4.2.4 (KDE 4.2.4)
Konqueror: 4.2.4 (KDE 4.2.4)
2.6.29.6-desktop-1mnb

After Running: urpmi --auto-update

It all looked good (when I would look over at it) until the last statement)

DKMS: build Completed.

nvidia96xx.ko.gz:
- Installation
  - Installing to /lib/modules/2.6.27.21-desktop-1mnb/dkms/drivers/char/drm/

depmod.....

DKMS: install Completed.
removing package kphone-4.2-9mdv2008.1.i586

-------- Uninstall Beginning --------
Module:  nvidia96xx
Version: 96.43.07-5mdv2009.0
Kernel:  2.6.27.7-desktop-1mnb (i586)
-------------------------------------

Status: Before uninstall, this module version was ACTIVE on this kernel.

nvidia96xx.ko.gz:
- Uninstallation
  - Deleting from: /lib/modules/2.6.27.7-desktop-1mnb/dkms/drivers/char/drm/
- Original module
  - No original module was found for this module on this kernel.
  - Use the dkms install command to reinstall any previous module version.
depmod.....

DKMS: uninstall Completed.

------------------------------
Deleting module version: 96.43.07-5mdv2009.0
completely from the DKMS tree.
------------------------------
Done.
Installation failed:
       libkdecore4 = 30000000:3.5.10-4.4mdv2009.0 is needed by kdelibs-common-30000000:3.5.10-4.4mdv2009.0.i586
[root@TAS-Server ~]#

But for the good news, I CAN log into KDE now and have access to everything. It all appears to be working and I don't have the update icon yet in the task panel. Boot up now looks ok and I get nothing but [ok] next to the services that are starting. I will use it today and keep logged on to see if anything odd happens.

For some reason I had two App Lanchers in the task panel, but I just removed one of them.

THANKS for all the help so far!

• 3 weeks later...