Configuring K-mail

Guest bear7

I'm trying to set up K-mail but it keeps giving me "could not connect to host localhost" I believe I've got it set up right? Mozilla is my default e-mail but I can't get into windows right now, if that makes a difference.

please help

bear7

I'm trying to set up a email where I can receive and send email's thats all.

I would rather use Mozilla mail since I'm more familiar with this, but since I've been on Linux for only a few days I don't even know how to install Mozilla. One has told me how but I don't understand it. Its getting to the point where I'm getting embarrassed to ask anymore questions. All I've ever known is Windows XP.

thank you

bear7

Firstly don't be embarrassed, everyones been at the point where they didn't have a clue....

To install mozilla go to mcc - software manager and type mozilla. Ticck the boxes for mozilla and mozilla-mail and it'll ask you for the relevant disks. Jobs a good'un.

for your Kmail, without seeing what you have set up in there, it sounds to me that you misconfigured a setting somewhere. go through all of your incoming & outgoing settings & make sure they are correct. if you have a Windows partiton & use Outlook Express, i'd suggest copying down all the settings from there, then entering them as you copied them into Kmail. Kmail uses virtually the same type of incoming & outgoing setup as Outlook. make sure your user name & password are correct. ("cap sensitive" can be an issue) usually incoming & outgoing are as simple as "incoming.yourispname" & "outgoing.yourispname". make sure you have the correct protocols (smtp vs. pop). if all else fails, call your isp & have them walk you through the proper setting for your mail sever. they may be hesitant 'cause you're not using an MS product. if so, be forceful but tactfull with them & just explain that you need the correct settings, not an opinion on the OS you're using.

as for Mozilla, just do as Qchem suggested. it will be version 1.3 from the disks (if you're using MDK9.1). it will install Moz & Moz mail fine for you. then, if you need help setting up java & other plugins, post back for more help.

Chris