Kubuntu server randomly shuts down [solved]

I have a Kubuntu 8.04 server that keeps randomly shutting down on me. As far as I can tell it doesn't happen during any specific event (meaning it will shut off when the OS is still loading and other times when it's been up for a few hours). I just installed a new 500W Rosewill power supply that is more than adequate for the hardware in it so I'm fairly certain that isn't the reason.

The hardware:

AMD Sempron 3000+ (stock HS)

512 MB RAM

(1) 40GB IDE drive (OS drive)

(2) 320GB SATA drives \

(2) 500GB SATA drives | (storage drives)

(2) 1TB SATA drives /

(2) case fans, 80mm I think

SATA controller

The next thing I will check is overheating and OS hard drive integrity but right now I'm a little too frustrated to do anything else. It's frustrating to not have the majority of my media files and documents unavailable, let me tell you.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Scythe

Ok, so it's not technically a server in the traditional enterprise sense. It runs KDE and could double as a desktop in a pinch but it hosts all my files and is on 24/7. Close enough :)

Ok...it has gotten worse. I took the heatsink off, cleaned it and the CPU, and reapplied Arctic Silver 5 and now it shuts off after about 3 seconds. Definitely hardware related. At this point I'm thinking CPU but I would appreciate the thoughts of those more experienced than I.

And, crap, they don't make CPUs for socket 754 anymore. Hmmm....

Edited by Scythe

I would hesitate that your processor is getting too hot. You can go into the BIOS and usually in here is an option where you can see the CPU temperature. Leave it in here and watch and see how hot it gets. Normal operating temperature can be around 40 - 50 degrees centigrade sometimes a little bit more. When you get closer to 80, I think that's when it likes to shut down.

[i though about that too but BIOS showed normal range of temps (~46 C). Also, I'm pretty sure the mobo would sound one of those alarms if the CPU was overheating, at least that's what my main desktop mobo does. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Ordered a new mobo and CPU this afternoon, hopefully this solves the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

One vacation later and a couple hours tinkering and the problem is solved. I'm not sure if it was the mobo, RAM, or CPU, but I replace those three at once (that CPU socket is out of production for all I can find) and now it works.

As you said scarecrow, it was a hardware problem. Thanks.