3Com Wireless PCMCIA cardbus adapter on Mandrake 9.1

sirchief

Dear Wizards of knowledge,

Beeing a sort-of linux-newbie, I am having a hard time getting my WIFI card

working on Mandrake 9.1, thus I would apreciate any and all help with this

issue.

Background:

HW: Dell Latitude C500, with internal 3com NIC.

WIFI adapter: 3Com Office Connect 11Mbps Wireless LAN CardBus PC Card

(3CRSHPW796). According to some info I found, this card comes with a ADMtek

chip.

3Com provides a RedHat 7.2 and 8.0 driver for the card, which I have

downloaded and tried to make work...

Problem:

I am not able to install this card.

Following the Ethernet-howto, Wireless howto and PCMCIA howto, I am just not

able to get my system to recognize the card.

(I did try to use a different card - a D-link 650+, and the system

(cardctl)found it, however, I was not able to install the drivers successfully

- thus I figured out that buying a card that comes with Linux drivers would be

the perfect choice for me... :| )

So - cardctl status reports a 3.3V cardbus card Function 0: [ready] in socket

1, while all other cardctl reports nothing found

so I guess my real question is: does anyone know how to get the RH drivers to

work in MD9.1? If so, can you kindly advice me please?

Is there anyone out there (sure there are...) who made this card work? How did

you do it?

Is there something obvious I forgot? (probably are ;)

Thank you for any and all replys.

Best regards,

Kai Roer

humble newbie looking for wizdom

heh, thanks for your reply anyway :) I wish you luck!

I took a second look into the RH driver tarball, and found a src directory...So, now I try to make mandrake drivers for the card.

First, I urmpi the source, and found that the source I got was 2.4.21.0.25mdk, while I had a kernel *.13mdk ... which I found out while trying to insmod the new driver...

so, now I have installed the *.25 kernel, and hoping it will work...(yes, I am newbie, so I have no idea as how to "activate" the new kernel...I hope it works after a restart :D

to be continued...

Kai

ok...booting the *.25 kernel...insmodding the driver, and getting the Tainted module warning.

Lamp on card changes from steady green, to blinking green (ref. manual, indicates datatransfere or activity)...

imho - driver works...now - on to configuration :)

to be continued...

not sure if you know, but don't worry about the tainted module warning. that just means the module isn't GPL and technically taints the kernel. it's not an actual "problem", per se. nvidia drivers give the same error.

wasn't sure if you knew that but thought i'd tell ya anyways ;-)

thank you :)

the warning actually throw me back until I check the URL it showed too - so, yes I knew :)

on good news - I was able to actually ping my gateway...so - things are coming around...manually configuring files around...not sure if I make the right adjustment in the wrong file, or the other way around :D

Still, I wonder how can I load the driver and make sure the card starts when I boot?

K

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I truly am a LINUX newbie. I believe I'm trying to perform basically the same thing you just did. I have a Linksys wireless eithernet card installed on an old HP desktop running Mandrake 9.1. I'm having problems getting connected to the internet, my network everything. The card is flashing solid green light but I can't ping myself(127.0.0.1) or anything else for that matter. Any advice?

Thanks,

Jody

wow, you're lucky! I cant even get anything out of /sbin/cardctl -ident for my D-Link DWL-650 (no +)!! Just plain ole vanilla 802.11b. I had the 650+ and got card info, but I took it back for a refund thinking I wouldn't get it working. D'Oh!

Anyone know what chipset is really in the 650? I have some drivers for the ADM8211, but they wont compile without errors.

R

I am trying to do the same thing with the USB LinkSys Adapter, it is definately a whole new frontier for me :) I don't seem to have the /sbin/cardctl command, is this another package I am missing ?I ran urpmi prism2-x.x.x.rpm and it didn't have any package discrepancies.

well, make sure you run cardctl as root, but I'm not sure it would apply to a USB interface anyway. I think its primarily for PCMCIA stuff.

I am having better luck with linuxant.com driver wrappers - I actually got the card to be found by the OS yesterday, just couldn't get an IP from my DSL modem. But, at least a little progress.

R