Supermount - why bother?

phunni

Supermount - worth bothering?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Supermount - worth bothering?

• yes!!
    • no!!
    • never really thought about it!!

I've been using gentoo for a little while now and supermount wasn't part of the basic deal (I'm sure I could compile it into the kernel but anywys...)

I have to say I haven't missedsupermount one little bit.

I use a dock app called mount.app to mount anyting in my /etc/fstab and (once I've got it configured) I never have any problems - certainly nothing like the issues I had with supermount.

So - I was jsut wondering... how many people out there use supermount, and how many have had problems or had it easy?

Let the discussion commence...

when i used arch i didn't bother with supermount, and now that i'm back in mandrake 9.2 it works fine so far and i really don't care one way or the other :) if you don't feel like trying to get it to work, don't bother ;-)

at first i really liked supermount. then, it started to give me problems with K3B. it took a little getting used to having to "mount" & "unmount" my CD drives, but once i got over that small hump, i never looked back. so, IMHO, the troubles supermount CAN cause vs. the fraction of time it takes to mount/unmount a drive isn't worth the gamble for me. plus, i learned something in the process. so a "NO" to supermount for me.

Chris

Well.. if supermount works.. it works really well as long as you are careful to close every app accessing the drive before ejecting. If not, well I can do without it really. Supermount seems to have the same trouble as its windows equivalent.

SM's very much my fav. I don't waste time/machine with kernel compiles anymore so if I'm using another distro I can live without it. What I can't understand is, since it's so easy to enable/disable, why isn't it the 'standard' for all distros? What happened to choice? Even if the default is 'disable' and you have to 'enable' sm, it should still be there regardless.

There's old timers that either had a bad experiece with sm years ago/recently, or have just heard the rumors and would consider their linux tainted if sm was included, or run and jump on a thread and assume sm is the prob and tell a n00b to disable it, without further investigation. These are they that want linux to be for geeks only, not for the mainstream. If linux is going to progress and keep a lot of its newcomers, it NEEDS sm....like it or not. UNLESS, you have something better :wink:

SM :headbang:

i like supermount in general but I have found that enableing it is dangerous. By default mandrake uses supermount on all removable media whitch is just fine with me. And the sm setup by the installer always works for me just ducky. The only time I have trouble is when I have configured a drive without supermount and then try to enable it. That always goes badly.

As for why, well that's obvious. I grew up with computers. My Dad bought our first computer brand new, a Packard Bell 386 (no math co-proccessor) 1 meg of ram (an upgrade fromt he standard 512k) a 40MB hard drive (that the salesman didn't want to sell my dad, insisting, "You'll never fill a 40MB drive in a hundred years) and an epson dodtmatrix printer.

Since then I've used a slew of computers, several of whitch I built myself and the linux is the only time I've hed to do anything other than push the litle button on the front of the drive to eject. Maybe for Mac people this isn't such a big deal. Buyt coming from DOS and then windows, the idea of having to unmount a CD to eject it is simply mind boggleing.

For the first time in Mdk9.1, I find supermount to be actually usable, and really usefull. But in fact, I wouldn't care if it was not there, because there are many convenient ways to u/mount drives graphically.

Yves.

SM is good when it works. Can be a real pain when it doesn't.

I think it is worth while to keep working on it, it has to work properly eventually.

My only real problem is when i want to install multidisc games like ut2003 but i just disable it then turn it back on afterwards.

For general usage i generally prefer having it to not having it.

there are also gnome applets for the gnome bar that you can use to mount/unmount cdroms and floppy's.

of course you have to set them to be user-mountable in /etc/fstab...(it can be done in MCC too)

with each release I do try superman, I do, i do,

alas on my poor hardware, as other posters have said, when superman acts like M$ it acts like M$ and behaves like a dog.

I use IceWm but run Kde programs including kdf and kdf mounts my floppy or cdrom pretty quickly well ok not that quickly but you get my drift.

another advantage of no superman is you can run dd and kfloppy correctly.