Please Help HAL

rippedcb

I'm a total noob to linux and trying to stick with it. I love Mandriva, its worked amazingly for me for the last month or so but recently starting few days ago i started getting this message:

The "draksnapshot-applet" program has crashed with the following error:

org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Hal was not provided by any .service files

standalone::bug_handler() called from /usr/bin/draksnapshot-applet:168

it happens about 15mins after i log in EVERYTIME. I've tried to seach the forums and tried googling but i have no idea what to do. In one of the posts someone mentioned that its a known bug and don't use HAL and use something else.. i don't know how to do that ;( what do i do? how do i use something else? what do i use??

i even tried reinstalling everything. I was running KDE first so i reformated and am using GNOME but its still crashing everytime after about 15mins or so. Is this a hardware problem? software problem? i don't know what to do..

Mandriva Linux

Release 2009.1 (pauillac)

Kernel Linux 2.6.29.6-desktop-1mnb

Gnome 2.26.1

Hardware

Memory: 3GiB (eventhough its 4g, it shows as 3 g)

Processor 0: AMD athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 6000+

Processor 1: AMD athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 6000+

Available disk space : 1287.4 GB

HAL is not crashing. Draksnapshot is.

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=87973

There's no remedy ATM. Simply do not use draksnapshot, until it is fixed.

About the memory issue: Since you are using a 32-bit OS, utilizing 3 GB out of 4 is normal. To utilize 4GB, you have to enable PAE in the system BIOS, and install a himem kernel, or use a 64-bit Mandriva.

In both cases, you will have more available RAM, but worse performance. Advice: Leave it as-it-is... 32-bit apps cannot use more than 2 GB RAM, by design.

Edited by scarecrow

HAL is not crashing. Draksnapshot is.

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=87973

There's no remedy ATM. Simply do not use draksnapshot, until it is fixed.

About the memory issue: Since you are using a 32-bit OS, utilizing 3 GB out of 4 is normal. To utilize 4GB, you have to enable PAE in the system BIOS, and install a himem kernel, or use a 64-bit Mandriva.

In both cases, you will have more available RAM, but worse performance. Advice: Leave it as-it-is... 32-bit apps cannot use more than 2 GB RAM, by design.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my stupid question. I uninstalled draksnapshot and everything is working great.

Is it necessary to install something else which would do the job draksnapshot did or would it be okay if i just leave it as is?

Thanks Scarecrow

CB

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my stupid question. I uninstalled draksnapshot and everything is working great.

Is it necessary to install something else which would do the job draksnapshot did or would it be okay if i just leave it as is?

Thanks Scarecrow

CB

well draksnapshot just takes screenshots or something like that in a determinated frecuency so unless you need those then you should worry about if not then leave it as you and me did (uninstalled)... ;)

WELL.. i think my issue was/is bigger then just draksnapshot. I uninstalled draksnapshot and ofcourse i don't get the message saying draksnapshot has crashed anymore.. but both of my CD/DVD drives don't work after about 15 mins of logging in. I can still physically open them, but the drives won't read or write anything. So i think the root issue of my problem was/is something different then just a bug in draksnapshot. Anyone has any clues?? i don't even know where to start. i can still read/write using my CD/DVD drives as long as i restart my computer and do it right away.

Regards,

CB

From fstab find what mount points your optical drives use (usually /media/cdrom for one of them). When the bug happens reload one of the cd/dvd trays with a CD then mount it from terminal:

mount /media/cdrom

replace /media/cdrom with whatever mount point the drive actually has. Post any error messages here.

I think i might have taken on something too big for me. I'm really not a computer person, i'm in medical field but i love learning about computers so i decided to take up linux, but its turning out very difficult as i don't understand half the things.. lol :wall:

This is my fstab:

# Entry for /dev/sdb1 :

UUID=3f566196-e918-43c7-8530-32d36e6faeb5 / ext3 relatime 1 1

# Entry for /dev/sdb6 :

UUID=9d67377f-aeba-4844-8b28-326e7673ba60 /home ext3 relatime 1 2

/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

# Entry for /dev/sda1 :

UUID=5A9819F49819CEFF /mnt/win_c ntfs-3g defaults,umask=000 0 0

# Entry for /dev/sda2 :

UUID=7A70C1E870C1AB69 /mnt/win_d ntfs-3g defaults,umask=000 0 0

# Entry for /dev/sda3 :

UUID=60F8E79BF8E76DAA /mnt/win_e ntfs-3g defaults,umask=000 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

none /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

# Entry for /dev/sdb5 :

UUID=fdd6eba0-1a6d-4c41-99bf-c2ee4d1facab swap swap defaults 0 0

and this is what i get when i type in mount /media/cdrom in terminal:

[am@localhost ~]$ mount /media/cdrom

mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified

[am@localhost ~]$

CB

What I did ...

1. check if the HAL daemon is running, if not as root

#hald

2.if it is running but not responding first check using top in the terminal, if a process (usually hald services or hald itself) is eating more than 80% kill it and run it again...

I know somebody has a better solution to that but in my case I had to solve it fast so I had to do that (I know that killing it is not the solution) but it can help you while some master comes with the answer

Edited by demonseth17

I don't think you can use something like "iocharset=blah" for an "auto" filesystem.

Could you repair your fstab, or completely remove that entry? (for the CD-ROM drive). It's not needed, and it can only lead to trouble.

Edited by scarecrow

daniewicz: YES there was a CD in the tray

scarecrow: I will delete "iocharset=utf8" from my fstab when i get home tonight after work. Just to confirm, i ONLY need to remove "iocharset=utf8" and leave everything else exactly the way it is.. right??

thanks

just to confirm.. i should delete :

"# Entry for /dev/sdb6 :

UUID=9d67377f-aeba-4844-8b28-326e7673ba60 /home ext3 relatime 1 2

/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0"

sorry, this is all baby steps for me.. thanks for helping everyone.

also, how do i "comment out"??