Thoughts on NAS / backup server

Trio3b

I have a spare VIA C3 with a 320gb HD sitting around that I would like to setup as a poor mans NAS/backup server. At some point I will look into RAID but just can't do it now. Would also backup to DVD as secondary. Files are mostly text, spreadsheet and PDF files. MDV 2008.1 and PCLOS 2007/2009 workstations are on the LAN. I am less concerned with the actual backup software and more with the setup of my LAN and the headless configuration of the server itself.

1. Will install the OS on a 20gb hd and use the 320 gb hd as data storage

2.From what I've read, this older VIA C3 (800mhz) with 256 or 512 mb RAM should be fine for this usage.

3.Curious about CentOS for the OS. Any thoughts or should I just stick with what I know MDV/PCLOS?

4. I want to make it headless. I believe that I can install the OS, set it up the way I want with ssh and then disconnect the monitor and KB (checking BIOS to see if there will be any no-KB faults). At this point I just want to turn it on once a week and use it to backup business files or MDV/PCLOS system files.

5. I want to keep the GUI (runlevel 5) intact so all users can just ssh in to it from the other workstations, is this correct?

6. Will use grsync, Unison to backup and sync files. I can learn to cron for auto backups. Have looked into openfiler /others and they seem way overkill for my needs.

7. At this point there will be no Windows on this LAN, maybe later.

This is my current setup:

internet <-> MDV 2008.1 as gateway <-> hub/switch <-> all other computers including PCLOS, occasional lappy, and now add the VIA server.

Any thoughts appreciated

Edited by Trio3b