HSF Linmodem and 9.2

Pierre Baco

Hi folks.

I've installed 9.2 (powerpack) on my Presario 702EA. No big problems so far, except linmodem support.

I recompiled the kernel to get full ACPI support (works fine), then i wanted to setup my dial-up connection using the internal Conexant HSF winmodem (used to work well with 9.1 and previous linux versions).

In order to do so, I installed:

hsflinmodem-5.03.27lnxtbeta030427000-2mdk.rpm

hsflinmodem-doc-5.03.27lnxtbeta030427000-2mdk.rpm

hsflinmodem_kernel-2.4.22.10mdk.rpm

These 3 rpms are on the Powerpack disk 3 (although rpmdrake says there are on CD 4).

Then I've tried "hsfconfig". It recognizes my modem, begins the setup, but fails miserably at the end with a sad:

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.22-10yan/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-ohci.o

depmod: register_resume_notifier

depmod: suspend_task

depmod: unregister_resume_notifier

(2.4.22-10yan is my recompiled version of 2.4.22-10mdk)

Qs:

a) What the hell this hsf linmodem driver has to do with usb ? It's an internal modem.

B) Have I done something wrong when recompiling the kernel for full ACPI support (including power suspend support) ?

c) As the name of missing symbols tend to show, could it be related to ACPI-power management ?

Additional comment-question: No way to find the old "GPL" HSF modem drivers. All URLS I could find about hsflinmodem point now to the Linuxant site (linuxant.com) where you can download a "free" :? driver limited to 14.4kbps or a "full" version at $14 per station. No source, No GPL. Linuxant says they have a licence from Conexant to develop Linux specific drivers for Conexant hardware. And it looks like Mandrake made a deal with Linuxant to release a Mandrake specific binary version of their drivers.

Now, suppose I want to compile a brand new 2.4.22 kernel from the "official" Linuxhq.org site. Am I supposed to pay $14 to get those f... drivers ?

:shock: Oh!, now that's just not rt! :evil: ....and to think, I sent an email 1.5 years ago to conexant thanking them for their linux support :evil: .....guess I'll have to send another :twisted: . I stopped using my HSF56k a year ago but I still have a driver w/source (I think and hope) I can send ya if you can't get the one you have going.

I never had a prob building/installing it. I notice you have

hsflinmodem-5.03.27lnxtbeta030427000-2mdk.rpm

and

hsflinmodem_kernel-2.4.22.10mdk.rpm

last time I installed it there was no hsflinmodem_kernel pkg. If that matches your running kernel, the only thing I can suggest is to (if you have the space) move (mv, [rename]) your current kernel-source tree and and install the kernel-source again to get a fresh, untouched source tree. If you don't need the current source tree

cd /usr/src/linux

cp .config /somewhere/.config-mine

make mrproper

and try again. You may have to install the hsf-kernel pkg again, I d/k what it is.......you may mv it when you mv the kernel-source.

I guess so. That decision by linuxant angered me also, but I can actually understand them. If the price for working with conexant to get the internal working of the modem is around 15 dollars per person.. it may be worth it. Now I don't know what that 15 dollars get you, but if it give you the all access to every driver linuxant made plus the updates, I think it is worth it imo. It also help the linuxant develop the drivers for this modem and other things (such as the driverloader program that supposed to enable you to use windows driver in linux).

Anyway, if you can check what things the rpm put into your computer (use rpmdrake-remove to check), you can basically copy the installed modules from your /lib/modules/2.4.22mdk (or whatever it is the regular mandrake kernel modules are located) to your /lib/modules/2.4.22-yan then do a

depmod -a

then check whether it works that way. You can also try to force the driver by insmod --force <name of driver>

Good luck.

1°) urpmi said the hsflinmodem-5.03.27lnxtbeta030427000-2mdk.rpm was required to install hsflinmodem_kernel-2.4.22.10mdk.rpm, which is specific to mandrake 9.2. The 2 rpms contain config files (/etc/hsf/*) and binaries.

2°) Concerning the depmod error msg when running hsfconfig, it concerns usb-uhci.o, and I have no idea WHY it needs this module to activate the hsf modules.

3°) I'd no problem concerning recompiling my 2.4.22-10yan kernel in a separate-clean-new /usr/src subdir, in which I just changed the name from 2.4.22-10mdk to 2.4.22-10yan and updated the Makefile accordingly.

make dep bzImage modules modules_install and install worked fine too.

About the usb-uhci.o, I think it is because some models of the HSF modem are actually USB, IIRC (it was quite a while ago since I last went to the page). I guess the driver rpm is an all-in-one package similar to NVidia graphics driver, encompasses all versions of Conexant HSF modems, including USB ones.

I just changed the name from 2.4.22-10mdk to 2.4.22-10yan and updated the Makefile accordingly.
I would guess that's the prob....it's not finding what it wants to find....it's mandrake specific.

You should be able to use the src.rpm I sent you with that kernel or any kernel or kernel-source. I used it everyday back when I was compiling kernels at breakfast and had 12 at once. Never failed.

Did they work? Messed with it yet?

What you sent me is the i686 version of what I had in 386 version (according to package names found in the 9.2 powerpack edition).

1°) it did not compile correctly (when compiler invoked by hsfconfig):

syntax error in ../modules/osspec/include/oscompat.h,lines 274 and 320. (missing " character).

I removed the extra " chars and it compiled ok.

2°) Compile error solved, but still exact same problem running hsfconfig:

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.22-10yan/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-ohci.o

depmod: register_resume_notifier

depmod: suspend_task

depmod: unregister_resume_notifier

Looks like my usb_ohci module has a wierd problem. I'm gonna take a look at the src version of your hsflinmodem rpm to see why and when it needs usb support.

Last minute: it works anyway ! :shock:

hsf** are modules loaded. KPPP sees the modem (/dev/ttySHSF0) and I can send ATx commands to it. Let me find a modem cable to investigate a little further...

Merci !

well I sent you the .src.rpm as well, so you could make your own with

rpmbuild --rebuild

That's what I'm currently doing. I want to understand this usb stuff.

Btw, I've found a modem cable: everything is fine. I can connect to my ISP using the old dialup line. Merci encore!!