KDE4.3

xboxboy

:smash: Has anyone found a spare task bar and menu around here? I updated to kde 4.3 and lost mine. Not only the task bar but the desktop settings as well. I can still login and run apps via the konsole so it's all there just a matter of finding how to get it back. I can't restore a back-up as it's now all version 4.3. If anyone knows of a quick way to restore things I'd very happy to hear about it. I know I could start another /home (after renaming my current one) and copy my main stuff into it. But it's a bit of a chore.

Thank you in advance.

Grrrr.... No matter which mirrors I select or how I try to add the repos I get the same error message:

...retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 9

Should this work?

urpmi.addmedia KDE-4.3.0 <mirror>/kde/stable/4.3.0/Mandriva/2009.1/RPMS/i586 with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia KDE-4.3.0-noarch <mirror>/kde/stable/4.3.0/Mandriva/2009.1/RPMS/noarch with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia KDE-4.3.0 <mirror>/kde/stable/4.3.0/Mandriva/2009.1/RPMS/i586 with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia KDE-4.3.0-noarch <mirror>/kde/stable/4.3.0/Mandriva/2009.1/RPMS/noarch with media_info/hdlist.cz

First remove what you have with

urpmi.removemedia -y kde43 kde43-noarch

or in your case

urpmi.removemedia -y KDE-4.3.0 KDE-4.3.0-noarch

then do

urpmi.addmedia kde43 ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/4.3.0/Mandriva/2009.1/i586/media/kde43
urpmi.addmedia kde43-noarch ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/4.3.0/Mandriva/2009.1/noarch/media/kde43

:smash: Has anyone found a spare task bar and menu around here? I updated to kde 4.3 and lost mine. Not only the task bar but the desktop settings as well. I can still login and run apps via the konsole so it's all there just a matter of finding how to get it back. I can't restore a back-up as it's now all version 4.3. If anyone knows of a quick way to restore things I'd very happy to hear about it. I know I could start another /home (after renaming my current one) and copy my main stuff into it. But it's a bit of a chore.

Thank you in advance.

This normally works for me:
killall -9 plasma

then

plasma

At the very least you'll see the error message(s).

First remove what you have with

urpmi.removemedia -y kde43 kde43-noarch

or in your case

urpmi.removemedia -y KDE-4.3.0 KDE-4.3.0-noarch

then do

urpmi.addmedia kde43 ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/4.3.0/Mandriva/2009.1/i586/media/kde43
urpmi.addmedia kde43-noarch ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/4.3.0/Mandriva/2009.1/noarch/media/kde43

Thanks Greg :) I did do it your way originally, I see now why it didn't work, I omitted /pub.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

killall plasma doesn't work anymore 'cause its called plasma_desktop or something. It still didn't work so I will just have start again with .kde and set all up again. Thanks anyway.

Did you end up getting this to work? Im missing task bar as well. I have cleared my .kde and .kde4 folders and rebooted, but still no luck.

I also have this problem from the update

The following package is going to be installed:

- akonadi-common-1.1.2-0.1mdv2009.0.i586

1.9KB of additional disk space will be used.

97KB of packages will be retrieved.

Is it ok to continue?

So i try to install it

1 installation transactions failed

There was a problem during the installation:

akonadi >= 1:1.1.95 is needed by (installed) kopete-4.3.1-0.1mdv2009.0.i586

Im not sure of the reason for this either

Well I now have it running! With a task bar!

I went to add/remove packages, and added akonadi-common version 1.2.1, its description was: Dummy package to overide old.

Then I opened terminal 2 command line and run:

su
password
/etc/init.d/dm stop
rm -rf .kde4
/etc/init.d/dm start

I ran rm -rf .kde4 as both user and root, not sure if you have to or not, but I did anyway.

Only thing, my kick off/classic menu icon is a question mark. lol, I dont think thats right, but I can live with it.

Edit: I was able to change the icon by going into its setting and clicking on the icon. I now have a nice Mandriva Star!

Edited by xboxboy

I also finished up removing the .kde folder and start a new one. If I remember correctly I also had to set the preferred icon for the start menu.

Glad you got it sorted. Perhaps I should have reported back how I had got the task bar back. Sorry folks.