DVDs won't play on 9.1.

Pepse

Hi BVC. With your years of experience it may be easy but for most of the rest of us it is not always easy.
Started Feb. 2002 Sir :wink: When I was doing the above posted, I was on ML8.1 in April/May 2002. Got my first pc Nov. 2000. I'm also a highschool drop-out and just shipping and receiving mgr. of a rather small graphics/printing/bindery co. I'm not a bumb that sits around with lots of time to learn this stuff. I have a wife and three children to support/love/and spend time with. Hardly experienced....actually, quite the n00b and google a lot. I'm just not afraid to tear it up, and learn from my mistakes. That's all linux requires. Guts. :P When 9.0 was released, my 8.1 was almost up to date from the cli and gnorpm. Urpmi was horid on 8.1.

Some are naturals, some are not, and that's OK. Doesn't mean they're dumb, they just don't get it as fast, or sometimes at all. That's why I say 'tear it up'. When you learn a windows registry, and the linux /proc fs/kernel, things begin to make more sense and click. JMHO :wink:

So yes, nah :P

Feel free to comment, but, lets get back ontopic

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah easy urpmi has been a bit shaky lately...

BUT

It is well worth persisting.

Add the mandrakeusers.org mirrors (as said earlier)

If you have line problems (and even if not) it often makes sense to use the -noclean option in urpmi.

This leaves the packages in the cache /var/cache/urpmi (or similar)

So if one fails you can hunt down just the one ....

When urpmi is working well it really does make dep hell more or less go away. My advice is to persist on getting it working properly, its a good investment of time.

Actually, with rpmdrake this becomes quite easy as you can put all of them in one dir and use the Software Sources Manager (equal to using the urpmi.addmedia).

I figured it out without RTFM, so it's not that hard even for newbies.

I'm back. Anyway I think the MUBPLF link worked. I have not tried anything because I want to make sure that the results of what I put into the system is right. Okay, I typed in bvc's first link and the answer is (this is at the bottom of the page after it does the examining synthesis file bit):

Retrieving description file of "mubplf"...

Retieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "mubplf"...

ftp://213.232.94.69/pub/PLF/mandrake/9.1/hdlist.cz

...retrieving done

examining MD5SUM file

examining hdlist file [var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.mubplf.cz

writing list/file for medium "mubplf"

Found 0 headers in cache

removing 0 obsolete headers in cache

write config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.config]

Then I'm back at root. True this seems to tell me that what I did worked but I decided to post before I get happy and go to PLf and something ain't right.

Later. Pepse.

By the way, does anyone know how to make rpmdrake use urpmi command-line options, or how to set them so that one wouldn't have to type them every time urpmi runs (make them default)?

[root@ml /]# urpmi.removemedia --help

usage: urpmi.removemedia [-a] <name> ...

where <name> is a medium name to remove.

--help         - print this help message.

-a             - select all media.

-c             - clean headers cache directory.

[root@ml /]#

urpmi.removemedia plf

I only say remove it because it didn't work for you and it's just sitting there as a broken source. IMO, better to get it out.

That wasn't a good idea. I did "urpmi.removemedia plf " and it removed the mubplf . So, I went back and tried to re-install mubplf from the info from bvc and the screen I get seems to be an info screen as it gives me choices that if I type in --wget or --limit rate , etc., etc., and at the bottom it says " 'with' missing for ftp media . That makes twice I tried to re-install it and it comes back with the same error. I don't know.

Later. Pepse.

Ok, so I went to Software Sources manager an was able to add the mubplf source. Then I went back to the plf site and downloaded D5D and the reply was that it is already installed (yeah right). Well then I downloaded libdvdcss2 and of course after it downloaded I got the bad signature error. I thought "OK I'll try the MPlayer file"; same result, bad signature file. So, then I went back to page one and did the rpmrebuild. It did. So, (ask I stupidly ask) now what??

Being that it said the D5D was already installed I went and tried a movie again and it still isn't working. Same prob I mentioned at the start of this mess.

Pepse.

then you need to import PLF's public key.

until 9.1 it was sufficient to run this command as root

lynx -source http://plf.zarb.org/plf.asc | gpg --import

but I think starting from 9.2 you'll need

lynx -source http://plf.zarb.org/plf.asc > plf.asc

rpm --import plf.asc

then you'll need to associate the key with the plf source.

you can do that through the Software Sources Manager (I have no idea how to do it from the command line).

after that your PLF packages should install without signature errors.

cheers,

Alaa