DVDs won't play on 9.1.

Pepse

Pepse

As i mentioned earlier im pretty sure d5d is included with the xine rpm from 9.1 on.

However

Now you have libdvdcss2 installed.

You need to check the xine settings, in particualr that /dev/dvd exists, if not you need to either create one as a symlink OR set it in the xine config to use (for example) /dev/scd0

Whatever your DVD is mapped AS.

Its a lot easier NOW becuae YOU know d5d is installed, libdvdcss2 etc. so its just the xine config.

I forget but is it by anychance a combined DVD reader/cd writer.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gowator,

I went to the Xine setup and went to Input and changed the "device used for dvd drive" from /dev/dvd to /dev/cdrom as well as /dev/hdb and it still acts the same. In MCC hardware my DVD player is listed as /dev/hdb (old device file) and /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd (new devfs device); should I try that?? It is a LG DVD player and CDrom reader. One thing tho, when I had 9.0 and went to Xine I had a toggle for D5D and D4D ( I downloaded and installed both) whereas now it just shows DVD, DVB, VCD and CD. You see with 9.1 I don't know if it should show D5D or DVD.

alaa, I will try that later on Tues. I'm in CST US. Also, when trying to (s) locate either D5D or libdvdcss2 ( in root) I get an error of something about my slocate.db is more than 8 days old. I never had any problems with slocate with 9.0.

Later. Pepse.

Yeah the D5D confused the hell outa me too.

Its part of the RPM ...

And the DVD is (as far as I know D5D)

If its a combined IDE dvd/cdrom READER then it souldn't have tried to do IDE-SCSI emulation and your device files confirm this.

If you ls -l /dev/cdrom and /dev/hdb it SHOULD point to the dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd

slocate.db

This is the index of the filesystem

As root you just type

updatedb (and sit back and wait) You can add a cron job to do this weekly to get round this but sometimes I prefer an old one..... before I do something and then update afterwards to see the differences.

Check your device files actually point to something with ls -l (as above)

slocate error is not related to your dvd blues, it just did not get the chance to update your database.

by default Mandrake have daily and weekly locate cron jobs, but they only work late at night.

if you don't normaly leave your PC running all the time you might want to install anacron which relies on frequency instead of fixed times.

cheers,

Alaa

Gowator, I did " ls -l /dev/cdrom " and it shows " /dev/cdrom -> cdroms/cdrom0 " and "/dev/dvd and /dev/hdb" both show the " ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd . Also, I was going to post that the link Alaa gave didn't work but I did it again and it worked. My error because after the "pipe" I put "grp" instead of "gpg" . Being that I did it the right way I got the key. Another thing tho, I think it was Tues. or Wed. I went to MCC-RPMDRAKE and searched for all related things to Xine and proceeded to install everything in which case it eneded up taking me to the PLF site and after all the time it took downloading it came back with an error about the key or something. Now that I got the key I should be OK. I mentioned this because I am wondering if it wise to download everthing related to Xine or am I wasting my time? I have plenty of room on my hda1, so it is a question of is it worth the time to add everthing in hopes something gets it so my Xine works?? Oh, I have MDK 9.1 PowerPack.

Later. Pepse.