DVDs won't play on 9.1.

Pepse

I know I didn't have this much of a problem with 9.0. First I tried Xine because that is what worked in 9.0. I went to the Xine homepage and downloaded " xine-lib-1-rc1.tar.gz" and untarred it and all the usual stuff and I still have the problem of when I load Xine, click on DVD and it recognizes the DVD, and then I click play, and it gives me the fbi warning and then the "New Line Cinema" logo then it shuts down to the Xine screen; like I didn't do anything. I had this problem before I installed xine-lib-1-rc1 and after. I even went to the software manager and downloaded all relevent software pertaining to Xine. And then being that I have 9.1 PowerPack I installed MPlayer and the dialog box states "no media opened". I never used MPlayer before but after doing a search on this board and finding a reference to MPlayer I loaded the software and hoped for the best; no luck. Any idea as what to do next??

The DVD I am using I had working in 9.0. Plus I have tried 3 other DVDs to no avail.

Later. Pepse.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, why not uise the supplied Xine ???

As far as I know and remember all it needs is the download of libdvdcss from plf or texstar!

If your sources are set then

urpmi libdvdcss2 : should do everything you need.

The probs however might be nothing to do with DVD encoding etc.

IS the DVD player also a Cd writer ???

If you go into Xine set up by just starting xine and not trying to play anything then you'll find a reference to your DVD device file. Usually there are TWO /dev/dvd and /dev/rdvd (for raw access)

If you have a cdwriter install sets it up as IDE-SCSI which means it emulates a SCSI drive becuase linux cdrecording software is all based on scsi cd writers.

This means your device is probably not /dev/dvd but /dev/scd0 etc.

Can you do the following and post it.

more /etc/lilo.conf

This should determine that problem.

I have installed the supplied Xine and it is working no different than before I installed it. That is, I have 9.1 PowerPack and I installed everything pertaining to Xine that I should need and no different. My unit is an LG DVD/CDROM reader. After reading your reply before I went to work I realized that with 9.0 I had D4D and D5D that I installed from the Penguin Liberation Front. Went there and after some searching I found they still have those files that I would need for 9.1. So, now my question is "do I remove the xine-lib-1-rc1.tar.gz before I download and open the D4D and D5D rpms?" I should have went to PLF before I posted and downloaded and installed their rpms first. It's just that I thought 9.1PowerPack would have the necessary software for DVD playback.

Sorry to bother.

Later. Pepse.

Well, now it appears that I have a problem with the PLF. I went there thru my Mozilla browser and when ever I went to a mirror (tried 4 diff ones) and when I went to one of the rpm's I needed I just got a black page. I have flash and Java running so I don't know what the error was about. SO then for the heck of it I went thru Konqueror and I was able to go to a mirror and be able to download what I needed ( I am impressed with Konq's auto RPM download or save feature), but each time it downloaded it came up with an error of: Bad Signature /home/pepse/.kde/share/apps/kfmexec/2945.0.xine-d4d-0.2.7-2plf.i586.rpm . I cancelled because I figured it means it won't work. I tried 4 diff mirrors and got the same results; also tried diff Xine stuff I needed but had the same problem.

Any ideas??

Pepse.

The suppled version i think comes with D5D which surplant d4d+dvdnav

I think all U need is libdvdcss2

What you need for the signature is the plf KEY. This verifies the package is the same as the one they uploaded.

However the best way is to update your urpmi sources so that you can just type

urpmi libdvdcss2

and it will fetch it and install it

You can also use the Install software (from MCC) and it uses the same indexes.

You should look at the easy urpmi page at PLF (just google' plf lair' then click easy urpmi

Follow the instructions, theyre dead straightforwards and it will update the latest sources for everythin U choose.

Why don't you try MPlayer. I have xine and mplayer installed and use xine just as a backup. MPlayer practically supports any format one would want (to today only two files wouldn't play properly for me). The GUI is not as worked as xine's but the command line app leaves most other players eating dust. By the way, even the command line has key bindings so good that you wouldn't want a CPU-eating GUI.

By the way, I got my mplayer mdk rpm in plf.

Why don't you try MPlayer. I have xine and mplayer installed and use xine just as a backup. MPlayer practically supports any format one would want (to today only two files wouldn't play properly for me). The GUI is not as worked as xine's but the command line app leaves most other players eating dust. By the way, even the command line has key bindings so good that you wouldn't want a CPU-eating GUI.

EASY URPMI???? Sorry but it isn't working. I have been doing what should be necessary to load easy urpmi but I keep getting errors. I have tried different mirrors on PLF when trying to set up this easy urpmi. The 3rd step in PLFs page is where I am suppose to go to root and type in " urpmi.addmedia plf ftp://knight.zarb.org/pub/plf/mandrake/9.1 with hdlist.cz . Well, I keep getting the same error no matter which mirror I use:

added medium plf

examining synthesis file [var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD1 (x86) (cdrom1) .cz]

examining synthesis file [var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD2 (x86) (cdrom2) .cz]

examining synthesis file [var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.International CD (x86) (cdrom3) .cz]

examining synthesis file [var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.International CD (x86) (cdrom4) .cz]

examining synthesis file [var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Commercial Apps CD (x86) (cdrom5) .cz]

examining synthesis file [var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Commercial Apps CD (x86) (cdrom6) .cz]

examining synthesis file [var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Supplimentary applications CD (x86) (cdrom7) .cz]

examining synthesis file [var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Supplimentary applications CD (x86) (cdrom8) .cz]

examining synthesis file [var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation sources CD1(cdrom9) .cz]

retrieving description file of "plf"...

retieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "plf"...

ftp://knight.zarb.org/pub/plf/mandrake/9.1/hdlist.cz

...retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 13 or signal 0

retrieve of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed

no hdlist file found for medium "plf"

examining synthesis file [var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.plf.cz]

problem reading synthesis file of medium "plf"

unable to update medium "plf"

So, like I said I've done this with 5 different mirrors; 3 US mirrors and 1 Poland and 1

France and I keep getting the same error.

Any ideas??

Pepse.

Xamusk, didn't see your reply as I went to this forum thru a different door. The problem I am having has to do with not being able to download anything from PLF. If I get that far I plan to try MPlayer, also. As you can see by my problem above I can't get there from here. :lol:

Later. Pepse.

well... maybe this can help you. I don't use plf by the normal way, that would be using the urpmi.addmedia or the Software Sources Manager in the Mdk Control Center (that is just a gui for it).

The fact is that I have many power failures here and I don't trust the file systems I use. Anyone wouldn't after reinstalling mdk 6 times in a single day. Then I like to keep all my rpms at hand so that I wouldn't have to download them again in case of a system crash. Other reason is that I was never able to finish a hdlist download for main and contrib sources.

To find which file I'm looking for I either use rpmfind.net or rpm.pbone.net (which is not necessary as you already know what you are looking for)

Then you can look at what your source would be. This you can get just looking what address you would use in the urpmi.addmedia. In this case could be ftp://knight.zarb.org/pub/plf/mandrake/9.1/

Note that this is a ftp address... and it really is. I just put this address in konqueror (or any other ftp client) and get the file listing. There you just browse like a normal ftp and download the files you want. :wink:

The major advantage of urpmi apart from its ability to download necessary rpms is that it will install those rpms in the correct order necessary to satisfy the various dependencies needs. To try to do this manually can sometimes be near impossible.

Cheers. John

nah, just copy and past from a term/text editor

cd /dir/with/rpms

rpm -ivh pkg1 pkg2 pkg3 pkg4 pkg5 pkg6 pkg7 pk8 pkg9 pkg10 pkg 11 pkg12 pkg13 pkg14 pkg15 pkg16 pkg17

Done

Some claim

rpm -ivh *.rpm

or is it

rpm -ivh .rpm*

I think the second. There's also gnorpm but 9.1 is the last ML it'll be on :cry: ....I like gnorpm....gives you all to terminal options of rpm but from a gui. To bad it's out of devel.

Agreed. It can sometimes be impossible. I just sometimes use my large patience reserves :lol:

Anyway, this is my workaround for the problem that my urpmi is not able to complete the download of the hdlist.cz from the mirrors (they timeout around 97-99% complete) and is my form of backup.

By the way. To clear the dependencies I download the rpm and try to install... then I get the list of other needed rpms or libs, then I go to http://rpm.pbone.net and search for them and download each individually, then update my (local) sources and try to install again. If it doesn't work I repeat the process over and over again untill it installs or my patience ends and I quit :(

Hi BVC. With your years of experience it may be easy but for most of the rest of us it is not always easy. I remember one occassion when I had downloaded 5 rpms that were interdependant and for 5 hours I tried to install the first 2 of them and each one rejected because it needed the other first. When I finally worked out how to direct urpmi to the directory in which I held the uninstalled rpms, they were all installed and I had the desired programme up and running in less than 3 minutes. So sorry, no nah.

Cheers. John