rar

Zac Medley

I'm looking for a package for rar (.rar compression). One of the apps that I installed says it needs it, but I haven't found it in the repos.

urpmi rar -a wants to install 200+ megs of different packages, and it's probably not wise to install a whole lot of stuff just because it contains the letters "rar".

it's probably not wise to install a whole lot of stuff just because it contains the letters "rar".
You're right, but it's fairly easy to view the description of the package to check that it really is what you want. You can do this in the GUI or from the command line if you prefer. I'm pretty sure that this rar package is actually what you want, but it certainly shouldn't pull in 200 megs+ of dependencies, are you sure?? :unsure: The list of dependencies should be tiny and you should already have most of them.

Maybe your system wants to pull in those 200 megs of updates anyway, regardless of whether you want to install rar or not? Have you updated your package list and done an update?

By the way, scarecrow, please don't advise everybody to install every package from source. We have repositories for a good reason.

I'm pretty sure that this rar package is actually what you want, but it certainly shouldn't pull in 200 megs+ of dependencies, are you sure?? :unsure:

I don't think that they are dependencies. If I type #urpmi rar, I get a response "no package named rar. The following packages contain rar, use -a to install all of them" (or something like that). But it pulls up everything in which the letters rar occur together - they may have nothing to do with rar compression.

I'm current on my updates.

Thanks both of you for responding.

Edited by Zac Medley

Sorry, I missed that you used the "-a" option. I only use this option with urpmq, never with urpmi! That explains why it wanted to install loads of stuff.

Hmmm, after looking at wikipedia, it seems I may have to retract what I said, scarecrow...

I was under the impression it was in the repositories, but I've only used unrar before and that's a simple install. But it looks like the situation for rar is a bit more complicated and awkward.

Sorry, scarecrow, I was wrong.

Be aware though that this is only a trial version for 40 days, and after that you'll need to buy it for 30 Euros. Maybe you can consult your other software which requires rar, to see if there are any other options?

Hi AussieJohn, I have unrar installed already, apparently I need a package for compression rather than uncompression.

ianw1974, I have the plf repos installed and it didn't show up.

He doesn't want just any archiving program - he needs rar probably because of DVDrip which needs rar for doing the subtitles, etc. Or some other app that is requesting it.

• 2 weeks later...

RAR is proprietary format -> it has not any implementation for linux with free license, only unrar.   

True... but the unlicensed rar version never stops working.

It's just that your rar packages are unsigned/made by unlicensed, which may not worry many people.

Other than that, CLI rar for Linux does not have ANY other restriction.