Introducing the Google Chrome OS

yossarian

Also, do you really wanna wait until there will be unquestionable evidences? This is about prevention. Never before in history was so many information in one hand, no matter how dramatic it sounds.

Once, racism was a valid theory and many believed in it... Does it answer you question?

Interesting read arctic, lots of food for thought before you do something you might later regret using such tools or apps installed on your machine from google.

It was about doing things before there are unquestionable evidences, never mind.

So what alternatives to Google products or any other "big brother" internet corporations are there?

How to avoid being watched without loosing the quality of life?

It was about doing things before there are unquestionable evidences, never mind.

So what alternatives to Google products or any other "big brother" internet corporations are there?

How to avoid being watched without loosing the quality of life?

Maybe the question should be the other way round. What products of google are actually useful to the point that there is no better/equal alternative?

Personally the only google product I find very useful and have used regularly is the google search engine (including it's maps section), but since I discovered Ixquick I'm using google search much less.

Other than that there is youtube which I occasionally use to watch something, but I wouldn't post videos onto it (there are many alternatives).

So you need to be more specific, which google products are so essential for you that you don't know any better/equal alternatives?

I don't know any, google is far from being irreplaceable, many google products (google-analytics, google-ads) are actually mainly a NUISANCE!

Also, quality of life is relative, you might find that short term convenience leads to unexpected long term hassle and/or serious problems...

(not just with internet 'products'...)

Edited by tux99

Personally i don't care much about Google, so I'll keep on using it as long as it meets my needs.

I consider every information passed through Internet to be unsafe, so there is nothing new to me. It just amuses me how people react to the statements like - "this company tries to spy on me", "that company tries to spy on you" - like in past the Internet was a vault and now it became compromised. There are no free meals, that is why EVERYTHING you get for free (a property that covers many Internet aspects as well as Google services) might harm you.

Anyhow, it was nice to learn few more things about Google...

I think the point that y'all have missed so far isn't about security or privacy.

The issue of concern to me is that Googles Chrome OS is/will be open source. That means that one of the richest companies in the IT field will be able to get all their leg-work done for free, by an army of avid tech wannabies.

And what will be the outcome of Google getting into open source development? Sooner or later they will start to lock stuff down with heavy licensing restrictions.

And then as if that isn't bad enough, what if this thing really takes off? Microsoft would be backed into a corner like a rabid animal, and things could get really ugly.

The issue of concern to me is that Googles Chrome OS is/will be open source. That means that one of the richest companies in the IT field will be able to get all their leg-work done for free, by an army of avid tech wannabies.

Google's influence might actually get us device drivers for new hardware earlier, so it works both ways.

And it's perfectly fine to use GPL licensed software for profit (loads of businesses do that), as long as they abide to the GPL license conditions.

And what will be the outcome of Google getting into open source development? Sooner or later they will start to lock stuff down with heavy licensing restrictions.

Fortunately the GPL license makes that impossible, they cannot change the license terms and GPL forces them to release the source code of any derived work.

Edited by tux99