Introducing the Google Chrome OS

yossarian

Given google's 'big brother' track record (also with their Chrome browser) I wouldn't touch their Chrome OS, but I guess if it help to introduce more people to Linux it could be a good thing. We'll see...

Another not-needed Linux distro ... and one smelling like "big brother". I will definitely never ever touch it. People should be more careful with Google IMHO as the company became way too powerful and never really played fair. Plus: Their will to collect all possible data from everyone is very disturbing and cloud-computing makes this so much easier for them. Shall I help them to get more information about me, my family, my job, my friends as they already have by using their software? Nope. Google is doing more or less what Bill Gates once wanted to do but never managed to do: concentrate all information in one place and gain a monopoly - or let's say a very dominant position.

Looks like they have gone some way to get over the first hurdle, getting OEM support.

The search giant said it was working with many firms on Chrome OS hardware including Acer, Asus, Freescale, Hewlett-Packard, Lenovo, and Toshiba.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8141964.stm

This is something that most Linux distro's have some difficulty with, Google appears to making it look like a walk in the park.

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

Given google's 'big brother' track record (also with their Chrome browser) I wouldn't touch their Chrome OS, but I guess if it help to introduce more people to Linux it could be a good thing. We'll see...

From what I heard this OS is just running Crome and Google online services in it. So it's not an introduction to Linux at all even if it is using Linux kernel.

From what I heard this OS is just running Crome and Google online services in it. So it's not an introduction to Linux at all even if it is using Linux kernel.

Agreed, my previous comment was based on the false impression that it would be a 'proper' Linux distro.

As it is, it seems like a completely useless OS, it's only purpose appears to be to increase google's all-knowing database of every bit of information about as many people as possible.

The logo of Chrome OS reminds me of the lens of a camera or an eye... very telling of it's true purpose...

What I'm concerned about is if google starts contributing code to the kernel, this needs to closely scrutinized.

Their influence on Firefox is bad enough, if you type 'about:config' in the URL field of Firefox and look at the config parameters you will already find several occassions where Firefox with the default config contacts google automatically without the user knowing about it (e.g. to check if a website is marked as 'dangerous').

This can be deactivated but how many people know about it?

That's one of the reasons why I use Seamonkey which is not as google infested yet.

Edited by tux99

Another not-needed Linux distro ... and one smelling like "big brother". I will definitely never ever touch it. People should be more careful with Google IMHO as the company became way too powerful and never really played fair. Plus: Their will to collect all possible data from everyone is very disturbing and cloud-computing makes this so much easier for them. Shall I help them to get more information about me, my family, my job, my friends as they already have by using their software? Nope. Google is doing more or less what Bill Gates once wanted to do but never managed to do: concentrate all information in one place and gain a monopoly - or let's say a very dominant position.

Do you have some evidence for what you're saying or it is more like a feeling? Can you give some examples for google acting as a "big brother"?

Do you have some evidence for what you're saying or it is more like a feeling? Can you give some examples for google acting as a "big brother"?

+1

I do sometimes feel that people overreact when it comes to Google's policies on information gathering and use, especially when some divulge much more damaging information through social networking.

I continue to be skeptical of cloud computing.

My main concern is security - not privacy, like arctic is discussing, but simple data security. While more computer-savvy persons understand the inherit insecurity in storing sensitive data on something like Google Docs or similar, many people don't realize that - once they save the file to Googles servers - it's up there, 24/7/365, and if someone were to hack Google's servers, your sensitive data could quickly be in someone else's hands. Storing the data on your computer lowers it's overall visibility on the net, as well as the fact that (save for some of us geeks who never turn off our comps ;) ) it won't be available on some server out there, 24/7/365.

Personally, if this is nothing more than an OS with Google App's integrated as if they were real Desktop applications, I worry that it will give people a false sense of security in their data, thinking it is stored locally, when it may in fact still be on Google's servers.

Errm... cloud computing actually LEADS to vanishing privacy. Read tymes post and think a little bit further ahead. You will not only store business-stuff on Googles servers but also your personal correspondences, maybe your correspondences with doctors, lawyers and whatdoiknow. And do you honestly believe that Google will not use the vast information available there in order to adjust e.g. their advertisement-placement, the special offers you get, the new tools that will be developed, theat they will not use the data in order to maximize their profit? Wake up.

Errm... cloud computing actually LEADS to vanishing privacy. Read tymes post and think a little bit further ahead. You will not only store business-stuff on Googles servers but also your personal correspondences, maybe your correspondences with doctors, lawyers and whatdoiknow. And do you honestly believe that Google will not use the vast information available there in order to adjust e.g. their advertisement-placement, the special offers you get, the new tools that will be developed, theat they will not use the data in order to maximize their profit? Wake up.

So' according to you, Google is bad because the end user is stupid? They might overtake some sensitive information from a user, just as every other internet provider or e-mail provider. Do not store your sensitive data on google's servers.

Now, when i'm awake, you still didn't provide me any example of google acting as a "big brother". If you accuse someone - you have to provide evidence, otherwise it is just words...

Is this enough? http://www.google-watch.org/bigbro.html

http://www.criminaljusticeusa.com/blog/200...nows-about-you/

http://www.intuitive.com/blog/is_google_be...ig_brother.html

Just "google" for "google + big brother" and you will find tons of stuff, from newspapers, individuals, governments and lawyers who share my view.

Do not store your sensitive data on google's servers.
Very funny. With dozens of IT-Companies seeing cloud-computing as the "unrivalled future", it will be only a matter of time until virtual applications on Googles servers will be forced down the throat of users who are not IT-Experts. Yes, most users are "stupid" when it comes to IT-Technology and Internet-Security. And they need to be protected.