instalation cant load second stage.

MadHattr

I went to install mandrake 9.2 today and it started to boot the cd and everything went fine but when it started to load i think it was the second stage right before the graphical install screen shows up it said there was a problem loading second stage ram disk i think it was and it asked me if my hardware was faulty or something. ive had this problem installing other copys of mandrake on other older systems but it has always worked on mine? anyone know what it might be?

B4 it happens, do;

Ctrl>Alt>F1

Ctrl>Alt>F2

Ctrl>Alt>F3

Ctrl>Alt>F4

Ctrl>Alt>F5

and find the one with output and keep it there until the panic, and see if we can determine why.

Also could try passing kernel parameters. F1 at the first screen>

linux noapic

or

linux noapic acpi=off

ive looked at the kernel message and such before and all it said was that it couldnt load the second stage and basicaly it couldnt read it on the cdrom? how do i check if my bittolerent downloads are courupt isnt there some gpc key or something like that i can use to check?

Guest tuxthepenguin

bittorrent client uses better checking machanisims than the md5 keys mandrake gives out. The only way a bittorrent d/l can be corrupt is if Mandrake is seeding corrupt copies (unlikley, because it works for others). It's a hardware problem - 9.1 did this to me too, but 9.2 fixed it.

Problem with ide chip (new mb)

Problem with chipset (new mb)

Problem with ram (run diagnostic to see which dimm is affected)

Problem with processor (new processor)

You could try to rearrange your dimm's. Sometimes a bad chip on a dimm will cause less trouble on a different slot. ( if that is the problem) For the other possible problems, diagnostic software is the ticket. There is a linux based free program, I'll have to look it up.

Do you have an LG CD ROM? If so, they are not supported by Mandrake 9.2. There is an advisory to the effect that Mandrake 9.2 installation may cause hardware damage to LG Cdroms. You can safely install (I did)Slackware 9.1 though, if you wish to run Kernel 2.4.22. Please wait until Mandrake clarifies this issue.

Sincerely,

A. Hacinliyan