Boot problems

Guest bear7

so it can be done (it was quite easy in fact
Yep, that explains all the XP/Win2k post and very, very, very few Win98 post :roll: ...sure it's easy to do...but hard to keep.

What do you mean attempt a rescue install?
Should be very similar on XP, but with win2k you boot with the cd and and choose a rescue as opposed to an install...no?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this problem many, many moons ago with XP. It turns out it was a virus that wouldn't let XP load. I booted with the XP install disk and ran a rescue install and it kept all my existing data.

Then a month ago I switched to running Linux exclusivly and haven't had a Windoze problem yet! lol

Every time I put the xp cd in it says the same thing, it says I have a registry error and it will not allow me to go any farther. It says it is not allowing me to go any farther account it may cause damage?

thank you

bear7

p.s. While this mess is going on with WinXP I am learning a little more each day with Linux.

I reckon this is going to force me to learn Linux. It could be worse!!!!!!!!!

Is there a book that you would recommend on Linux Mandrake that I could get.

thank you

bear7

I hate to say it but I think it might be time to kill Windows. Follow bvc's suggestions on repartitioning with MCC.

If you can get into the Windows file system from Mandrake copy the files you want to keep to your Mandrake documents file and then repartition.

If the XP disk won't help and reloading the Windows MBR from the Mandrake install rescue option won't help I think this is the way to go. Anybody else have any better ideas?

One last idea that just came to mind --- did you ever make an XP rescue floppy per chance. I've never used one but that might get the registry fixed. Alot of times if the Windows registry is hosed there is no other way to boot up Windows.

I just re-read through the post and noticed you never said anything about trying to boot into XP in safe mode -- give this one last try before you kill XP.

As far as a Linux book I like RUNNING LINUX by Matt Walsh!

I think the latest version is the 4th edition.

on win2k, when making a bootfloppy, you're asked if you want to include the registry. This is to repair the registry. So it's a good question and a great option if you can, and have done so with XP. BUT....on win2k you're asked for this during the repair phaze from the cd, so I d/k.

Where is my partitioning advice? :unsure:

Book :?: :shock:

anything you could ever ask or want to know is available online and on cd. I think it's called "rute" and it's suppose to be a good book....it's on the ML9.1 cd's if I remember rt.