Boot problems

Guest bear7

Guest gmontag

Grub is not booting Windows on a promise controller. I went through the graphical controls to install lilo and lilo needed to write something to the windows partition but said windows xp is not supported. I did not continue but would like to boot without setting drives primary though bios. Grub on my laptop is really neat. I shut the lid and laptop suspends windows when I open the laptop grub starts and I can load linux. Now if suspend mode worked for linux I could shut lid and instantly go into either.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

default="linux"

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off quiet"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off failsafe"

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label="windows"

table=/dev/hda

other=/dev/fd0

label="floppy"

unsafe

Here's the lilo.conf file. I'm tempted to forget Windows just on account of the support I've been getting.

Thank you

bear7

I'm sorry but I don't have any idea what your talking about!!!!!!!!!

I've only had Linux installed two weeks, so your going to have to explain where I can understand.

bear7

To get XP to start, boot with the XP cd and somewhere/somehow (someone else will have to tell ya) you can restore the mbr (windows mbr). The command is

fixmbr

....same as win2k. Then we'll know for sure if XP will boot and if it's lilo related (sorta). You can then restore lilo by booting to cd1 and pressing F1 at the splash screen>then typing rescue>then choosing 'restore the linux bootloader'.

"You can then restore lilo by booting to cd1 and pressing F1 at the splash screen>then typing rescue>then choosing 'restore the linux bootloader'."

That CD will be the Linux CD, not the XP CD. Just to make that more clear.

Later

:D :D :D :D

Can't get any further than the error screen, it says there is a registry error. Windows suggests to shut down to prevent any damage. Getting tired of this, what do I need to do to get rid of XP and go strictly Linux?

bear7

Thank you :)

Your welcome. bear7 appears to be a bit new at this. No need adding to the confusion, by accident of course. We all want to help bear7 get that thing running again. Especially Linux. :D

:D :D :D

I suppose one day I can get another hard drive and install xp on it. I don't think I'll be doing this again(putting two os's on one hard drive, I just don't have the know how yet. I sure appreciate ya'lls patience.

thank you

bear7

Well, linux and Win98SE live happily together on 1 hd for the most part. Win2k and XP are disasters when it comes to sharing an hd with linux.

Did you, by chance, make any changes to partitions with diskdrake b4 this happened? Because I did once to linux partition, and though win2k would boot, it wants reign of the hd, and win98 would not boot. I also got a registery error with win2k yet all the test/checks were fine. It had something to do with win98.....I ended up having to reinstall both :twisted:

So you want just linux? No prob! Either;

in a terminal, su to root and run diskdrake

or

open mcc (the mandrake control center)>Mount Points>DiskDrake

Find it (the XP partition) and format it.....twice, for good measure (trust me, do it twice). Is it ntfs? change it to what ever you want. I'd make it a fat of some kind. Easier with permisions/sharing yet less secure because of it. DO NOT, AT ANY POINT, DELETE IT!....JUST CHANGE ITS TYPE. If you delete it, your partitions will be renumbered, and you will then have to either hope mcc correctly updates your /etc/fstab, and/or edit it yourself. No biggy, just not necessary......'CHANGE TYPE' not DELETE.

It won't harm anything just to stay there. Linux boots rt? You could also install ML on it and play around and do your experimenting on it. Try other distros....whatever.....just have fun, what ever you do!

Just two. I have Mandrake 9.1, Gentoo 1.4 starting of Linux from Scratch and a Mandrake 9.2 that is really pi$$ing me off. Everytime I boot I get something new, error that is.

I'm going to fix it though. Where's that 3lb sledge hammer at? :twisted::twisted:

I'll be right back . . . . . . .

:D :D :D :D :D

>

Well, linux and Win98SE live happily together on 1 hd for the most part. Win2k and XP are disasters when it comes to sharing an hd with linux.

>

I have one machine running Win2k and Mandrake 9.2, and one machine running Win XP and Redhat 8.0 - so it can be done (it was quite easy in fact - my laptop (XP) came formatted as FAT32 with an NTFS conversion tool, thank you so so much Toshiba!!!).

If you want to rescue your win partition I'd probably put in the install disk and attempt a rescue install - should preserve your data.