Public Statement of MandrivaUser.de

David Batson

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling this was the case of people making promises and then their higher-ups not liking them. I really don't think Mandriva did anything wrong here, to be completely honest, things simply didn't work out as planned.

That may be the case, but it shows a real lack of integrity which is a key issue for stakeholders such as stock markets and governments (which is reflected in the way that listing rules, companies legislation and corporate governance codes are set).

All of this is sad for all,as for Mandriva and for all the community and linux/mandriva users around the world...

It really makes me sad ... :sad:

Cheers...

1. They promised to cover costs right from the beginning and told me that it was decided. If they lied to me then and the CEO said "no" later, they could have told me during the many weeks following, without any bad feelings on either side. But instead they kept telling me that everything was ok and the assistant even sent me a mail 1 day before the cancellation that they ordered the hotel for me - which obviously was a straight lie.

Are you sure it was a lie, or are you just assuming it was a lie? Like I said, it's possible that they did intend to do it, but problems arose and it was canceled as a result. Without knowing what actually went on inside Mandriva, any conclusion drawn is mere speculation (even my own). We're all speculating and attacking Mandriva based on those speculations, which are biased.

I still tend to think Mandriva is being ridiculed for nearly nothing here. Sometimes things simply don't work out as planned, especially given the current economic climate.

And honestly, wobo, you seem to be a little overly focused on the fact that they were supposed to pay your way and then didn't. To me, it's starting to sound like you were looking for a free ride, and when you didn't get it, you tossed a fit and got enough attention that it became "newsworthy".

but that's JMHO, agree with it or not, I don't care :)

Edited by tyme

but that's JMHO, agree with it or not, I don't care :)
Well, to each his own opinion, no problem. But you close your eyes and pretend, open them and see the facts and what I wrote. I took the example of the financial part, I could have also taken each other part of the whole thing.

Besides, you should care what you write about somebody you do not know anything about. Assuming I was out for a free ride is just ridiculous. Over the last 10 years I spent many times the money out of my own pocket on promoting Mandriva in Germany, I am not out for a free ride. After the cancellation I did not say "WTF!" and let it be, I did go to Berlin, paid all my expenses myself and still showed the Mandriva brand, talked to people about Mandriva Linux (the distribution) and did a radio interview about Mandriva Linux and the community's plans in Germany. Does that sound like someone who is out for a free ride? Stop building your opinion on assumptions without knowing anything.

wobo

(other than for wobo and his compagnons and they will get over it too).
We already are over it, don't you see that? We discussed the matter, everybody could follow and participate in this discussion. We decided to react and how to react, done. In our forum we are discussing plans to expand our website and future actions here in Germany. Nobody there talks about this issue any more.

But I could not get that guy get away with such a ridiculous and almost offensive accusation that I was only out for a free ride. That's all.

Edited by wobo

Well I guess Tyme's suspicion about your motives is as valid as all those insinuations at Mandriva's possible motives that you certainly did not help to contain (rather helped to spread IMHO).

Anyway that's it for me about this, it's a shame when such rather small issues get built up in such a way to spread such negativity about Mandriva (who has no obbligation to even provide us with a free distro, they could just concentrate on their corporate customers which probably would be more profitable too).

who has no obbligation to even provide us with a free distro,
Wow! What an informed and well thought over statement! No small wonder.

I have no other choice than to bend over... and go.

Besides, you should care what you write about somebody you do not know anything about.

Stop building your opinion on assumptions without knowing anything.

You should apply your own advice to your criticism of Mandriva and it's employees. So far in this thread, you've flat out called a few of them liars, without valid reason. You've claimed they gave you the shaft, without even knowing what was going on behind the scenes.

Perhaps my post was intended to make a point to you, that you failed to realize. Also note, I said it was starting to "sound like", I never accused you of wanting a free ride - just stating what it looks like, based on what was said. Meanwhile, you've accused Mandriva of several things, based on very little.

Edited by tyme

Now, this is getting very unfriendly and I will not tolerate any further mishbehaviour from any of you. Either all of you behave well and stop pointing fingers at each other or I will close this thread.

This is the second warning. There won't be a third. :evilmod:

You should apply your own advice to your criticism of Mandriva and it's employees. So far in this thread, you've flat out called a few of them liars, without valid reason. You've claimed they gave you the shaft, without even knowing what was going on behind the scenes.

I have been following this issue on four different forums. I have read lengthy threads on the MandrivaUser.de forum and on forum.mandriva.com (International), as well as shorter threads on forum.mandriva.com (French), and Mandrivausers.org. When you read all that has been said, you get a much better idea of what transpired.

"you've flat out called a few of them liars, without valid reason" Wobo contacted Anne at Mandriva by telephone offering MandrivaUser.de members to man the Mandriva booth at LinuxTag after Mandriva decided not to attend the booth themselves (MandrivaUser.de members had manned their own booth at previous LinuxTag events, but did not this year because Mandriva S.A. was to have their own booth). He was told she would contact him by the next day with a reply in the affirmative or not. Wobo has not heard from Anne since. This is a lie no matter how you cut it. A common one, but nevertheless a lie. Wobo was told that Mandriva did book a hotel for him in Berlin for Linuxtag (on the day before Mandriva cancelled), and they would give him the specifics later. He never heard again about this hotel room. Rightly wobo wonders why he was never given any specifics when they told him the room was already booked. While the room might have been booked, evidence points to the contrary. To the best of my knowledge, wobo was never even told which hotel was supposedly booked.

The whole episode looks shady when you consider "Nov. 2008 --> Mandriva (Vanessa Wall) asks wobo for help in organizing and operating a company stand at the Linuxtag 2009 in Berlin.", and Mandriva continued to maintain the event was on until June 19th - yet important event planning details were never given to wobo, such as hotel reservations details, and information that the CEO was going to attend. This information that the CEO was to attend did not come out until Mandriva said they were cancelling because the CEO had broken his leg and could not attend.

Wobo got the shaft when he did not receive replies to requests for necessary information. Wobo was told to book his own train ticket, and that he would be reimbursed (but has not been to date AFAIK). As things stood, if wobo did not go to LinuxTag on his own, I believe his train ticket would have been forfeit. Wobo got the shaft because he was going to attend LinuxTag whether Mandriva S.A. did or not. Wobo had to make a last minute hotel booking, perhaps not where he would have chosen, and not at the rate he could have gotten if he had made the reservation some weeks in advance on his own.

EDIT: Wobo's real beef is that Mandriva did not communicate with him so that he could make his own plans in a timely manner. Requests for necessary information was ignored. Guaranteed replies never came.

Edited by David Batson