PDF annotations

neddie

I made a pdf from OpenOffice, and after sending it for review I got it sent back to me with "sticky" yellow notes on it with feedback. When I viewed it in Adobe/Windows, the bubbles popped up to show what the comment was for that part of the pdf.

Then I got home and opened it in kpdf, I can see that there's a yellow thing there but can't get it to pop up... Is this just a feature of pdf that's not (fully) supported by kpdf yet, or am I missing something obvious? Is there another free pdf viewer that can show these yellow stickies?

You could install gpdf, or even the Adobe Reader which is free in Linux-version form. I tend to use this nowadays and it works just fine. I had problems sometimes with gpdf and others so now I just use Adobe Reader. I know it's not open-source, but it's still does the business.

You could install gpdf, or even the Adobe Reader which is free in Linux-version form. I tend to use this nowadays and it works just fine. I had problems sometimes with gpdf and others so now I just use Adobe Reader. I know it's not open-source, but it's still does the business.

well I've being using okular for quite some time and I think is very useful, it also opens djvu files...which I think acrobat and kpdf doesn't support...there's also another one available in Gnome...I think it is called Document Viewer..try those and let's see if they work for you

kpdf - shows yellow marker but doesn't show the text associated with it

Document viewer / evince (double-click in gnome) - same, just shows the marker but no text

gpdf - no such package for me

OOo 3.1 - doesn't load the pdf properly, just shows binary rubbish

pdfedit - same as kpdf

pdftotext - just extracts my text, nothing from the annotations

Kate - just opens the pdf with the binary rubbish, but if you search for /Popup (at least with this particular document) then the annotation text appears as plain text and can be read (but of course you can't see where in the document it was attached)

Okular - don't know, don't have KDE4

Acrobat - don't know, don't fancy a 40MB+ closed source download with its "upgrade now!" nags and reputation for security problems.

acroread 9.1.1 should work, and okular too.

pdfedit is a useful, but buggy application- I wouldn't trust it for serious work.

Some possible alternatives:

- The podofo rendering library, which is used by scribus-qt4 (it's still in beta status). Podofo is currently packaged for several Linux distros, e.g. Ubuntu, Fedora. No idea about Mandriva, sorry.

- Foxit Reader for Linux- it's native application, free, and very small ( http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/desklinux/ ). It works fine here, although fonts aliasing is an issue.

- Some portable viewer/editor for windoze via wine.

Edited by scarecrow

acroread 9.1.1 should work, and okular too.

pdfedit is a useful, but buggy application- I wouldn't trust it for serious work.

Some possible alternatives:

- The podofo rendering library, which is used by scribus-qt4 (it's still in beta status). Podofo is currently packaged for several Linux distros, e.g. Ubuntu, Fedora. No idea about Mandriva, sorry.

- Foxit Reader for Linux- it's native application, free, and very small ( http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/desklinux/ ). It works fine here, although fonts aliasing is an issue.

- Some portable viewer/editor for windoze via wine.

nice application scarecrow it looks serious..

I have a question related to this...does anyone knows if one of the mentioned programs can merge or combine different pdfs files into one?

does anyone knows if one of the mentioned programs can merge or combine different pdfs files into one?

pdfedit can do these kind of things. I tried to use it once and found it not very user-friendly, but for small things like merge/split it's reasonable.

EDIT:

Oh, there are also online applications that will do this work for you (if you don't mind exposing the documents to third party).

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...mp;oq=&aqi=

Edited by yossarian

If you don't mind using the command line, try pdftk - see here.

You can merge pdfs into single ones, ignore certain pages and a boatload of other options.

About Foxit, thanks for the tip, I thought it was windows-only. Shame it's closed source though, I thought the open-source pdf tools could do everything these days...

Foxit does have a Linux version since at least one year ago, but it works since February or so. Before that, it was segfaulting even with all sorts of compatibility libs installed.

Yes, it's not opensource. Podofo is, but it's just a library-the only UI for it I currently know is Scribus-qt4

The current version renders fonts in an ugly way, but after all, the same applies for Evince. Arcoread renders flawlessly, but 70+ MB for a pure PDF reader is rather too much for many users, while okular is a superb document reader, but... it depends on kdelibs4.

If you don't mind using the command line, try pdftk - see here.

You can merge pdfs into single ones, ignore certain pages and a boatload of other options.

About Foxit, thanks for the tip, I thought it was windows-only. Shame it's closed source though, I thought the open-source pdf tools could do everything these days...

thank you.. neddie and yossarian...I'll try the command line first :)