k3b keeps crashing [solved]

demonseth17

Hi...I've been using k3b since I came to linux so far it has being working until 2 days ago

this is what I get

[roger@localhost ~]$ k3b
k3b(30019): ""Backgroundcolor" - conversion from "Window" to QColor failed" " (wrong format: expected '3' or '4' items, read '1')" 

k3b(30019): ""Foregroundcolor" - conversion from "WindowText" to QColor failed" " (wrong format: expected '3' or '4' items, read '1')" 

k3b(30019): ""Backgroundcolor" - conversion from "Window" to QColor failed" " (wrong format: expected '3' or '4' items, read '1')" 

k3b(30019): ""Foregroundcolor" - conversion from "WindowText" to QColor failed" " (wrong format: expected '3' or '4' items, read '1')" 

k3b(30019): Attempt to use QAction "view_dir_tree" with KXMLGUIFactory! 
k3b(30019): Attempt to use QAction "view_contents" with KXMLGUIFactory! 
k3b(30019): Attempt to use QAction "quick_dir_selector" with KXMLGUIFactory! 
[roger@localhost ~]$ QPainter::end: Painter ended with 2 saved states
QPainter::end: Painter ended with 2 saved states
KCrash: Application 'k3b' crashing...
sock_file=/home/roger/.kde4/socket-localhost/kdeinit4__0

I know it has something to do with the sock_file thing but what? and why?

any clues?

Are you using Gnome? Any particular theme or the standard ones? I found problems once when I was using a particular theme or icon set and it caused problems. Reverting back to a standard one and everything returned to normal.

Just a thought I had.

well I didn't know it could cause problems...but I'm not runnning any theme just the standard as you said (In Gnome cause in KDE4 it's different) :)

thanks for the suggestion..

I got the bug report that k3b made is here the first one and this is the last I saw some different lines here's the other one

maybe it could help...I'm gonna try running it from another session to see if those are some user settings disturbing as Ian suggested (themes but it could be something more...)

I also suspect theming as the reason... certain revisions of gtk-qt engine or the universal qtcurve theme do tend to crash under certain circumstances.

The other thing is the bugged wodim/cdrkit package, which could (and should) be substituted by the reliable and proven cdrtools package, but cdrkit would likely lead to failures/ bad burns- not GUI crashes.

I haven't got any bad burn or failures...just GUI crashes ;)

I tried it on another session and it worked fine also in KDE4, that proves that you and Ian are right somehow but as I said, I've not changed the default theme...

if I uninstall it then delete the k3b folder (/home) then reinstall it...could work right? or you suggest that I roll back to all default settings?

thx for the replies..and in advance :)

You may not need to reinstall it. If you delete the hidden K3B file in /home, then next time you activate K3B it will create a new one anyway. If the problem persists, I would then try the uninstall --> reinstall routine. Make sure you have the updates for it up to date because there were a number of bug fixes.

Cheers. John.

thx John ;)

I was thinking about removing the .k3b after k3b to do exactly as you're saying "If you delete the hidden K3B file in /home, then next time you activate K3B it will create a new one anyway" if I have a wrong setting it could be deleted right?...

Providing that it's a problem caused by K3B. If it's not and it's being caused by theming, then you'll know soon enough. If removing the K3B config doesn't do it, then it's other KDE/Gnome settings causing the issue.

As you tested with a new user and it worked, then this will be what it's hinting at.

after testing it with another user...using KDE4 and Gnome...it didn't crashed so I thought maybe it has something to do with all the files I got spread in my home folder...so I moved some to my /mnt/windows partition and then tested at my session...using Gnome then I did many simulations, burned some close it and try again an its working as you can see it didn't crash again :thumbs: so it's good to know that it's working again...but the reason still unknown (as I say maybe it has to be something with the videos, seasons, books..that I've been downloading directly to my home folder instead to Download)(I use Downloads to store completed downloads)....I'm happy cuz I didn't have to remove k3b and it's been solved just moving some files (that's what I think) :D

Do you have any idea what could cause this?

[roger@localhost ~]$ k3b
k3b(9693): ""Backgroundcolor" - conversion from "Window" to QColor failed" " (wrong format: expected '3' or '4' items, read '1')" 

k3b(9693): ""Foregroundcolor" - conversion from "WindowText" to QColor failed" " (wrong format: expected '3' or '4' items, read '1')" 

k3b(9693): ""Backgroundcolor" - conversion from "Window" to QColor failed" " (wrong format: expected '3' or '4' items, read '1')" 

k3b(9693): ""Foregroundcolor" - conversion from "WindowText" to QColor failed" " (wrong format: expected '3' or '4' items, read '1')" 

[roger@localhost ~]$ k3b(9693): Attempt to use QAction "view_dir_tree" with KXMLGUIFactory! 
k3b(9693): Attempt to use QAction "view_contents" with KXMLGUIFactory! 
k3b(9693): Attempt to use QAction "quick_dir_selector" with KXMLGUIFactory! 
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/klauncher
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kded4
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kbuildsycoca4(9762)/kdecore (KService) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file  "/usr/share/applications/kde4/trash.desktop"  has Type= "Link"  instead of "Application" or "Service" 

kbuildsycoca4(9762)/kdecore (KService) KBuildServiceFactory::createEntry: Invalid Service :  "/usr/share/applications/kde4/trash.desktop" 
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kbuildsycoca4(9765)/kdecore (KService) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file  "/usr/share/applications/kde4/trash.desktop"  has Type= "Link"  instead of "Application" or "Service" 

kbuildsycoca4(9765)/kdecore (KService) KBuildServiceFactory::createEntry: Invalid Service :  "/usr/share/applications/kde4/trash.desktop" 
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kconf_update
kdeinit4: preparing to launch 
klauncher(9756)/kio (KLauncher): SlavePool: No communication with slave.

thanks guys for trying to help...

Edited by demonseth17

BTW: why does K3B says my DVD writer only supports 3x speed I would like to burn at 4x, 6x...what could be the reason

NOTE: this is happening before the crash thing...any suggestions of what I need?

I've generally seen this depending on the media I'm using. Cheap and crappy CD's or DVD's even if they state 4x, 6x, 8x or higher generally end up burning at lower speeds or if they are really crap (EMTEC) then they just fail to burn at all. I guess the DVD-R/RW is trying to detect from the media what speed it can do, seems some kind of issue and decides to find a lower speed to burn at. Unfortunately, you don't really have any control over this as far as I'm aware, other than attempting to force burning at a higher speed, but then you might get failed burns than compared to leaving it on auto.

I've generally seen this depending on the media I'm using. Cheap and crappy CD's or DVD's even if they state 4x, 6x, 8x or higher generally end up burning at lower speeds or if they are really crap (EMTEC) then they just fail to burn at all. I guess the DVD-R/RW is trying to detect from the media what speed it can do, seems some kind of issue and decides to find a lower speed to burn at. Unfortunately, you don't really have any control over this as far as I'm aware, other than attempting to force burning at a higher speed, but then you might get failed burns than compared to leaving it on auto.

;) yep that's what I thought..well Thank You Ian...also everyone trying to help

BTW how can I mark this as solved..?

Edited by demonseth17