mounting cd/dvd mandriva one 2009

Guest SirDonkeyPunch

Guest SirDonkeyPunch

alright well i just got a fresh install of mandriva one 2009 and things are going reasonably well after configs and some tweaks. so i wanted to begin importing some data from backups and lo and behold, but no mounting is happening. im new to the forum so excuse my inability to put the entry in a code box, but heres what my fstab is looking like.

# Entry for /dev/sda1 :

UUID=d6645d4b-8b0d-4a53-a104-a55da0984c21 / ext3 defaults 1 1

# Entry for /dev/sda6 :

UUID=f85c1f62-4944-4212-b112-a3b605a57e28 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

# Entry for /dev/sda5 :

UUID=a7786acb-cbe8-4d06-8fa0-2ea4840694dc swap swap defaults 0 0

all of which are regarding the HD and no other devices. any suggestions to get my cd/dvd's to goesgoesgoes?

alright well i just got a fresh install of mandriva one 2009 and things are going reasonably well after configs and some tweaks. so i wanted to begin importing some data from backups and lo and behold, but no mounting is happening. im new to the forum so excuse my inability to put the entry in a code box, but heres what my fstab is looking like.

# Entry for /dev/sda1 :

UUID=d6645d4b-8b0d-4a53-a104-a55da0984c21 / ext3 defaults 1 1

# Entry for /dev/sda6 :

UUID=f85c1f62-4944-4212-b112-a3b605a57e28 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

# Entry for /dev/sda5 :

UUID=a7786acb-cbe8-4d06-8fa0-2ea4840694dc swap swap defaults 0 0

all of which are regarding the HD and no other devices. any suggestions to get my cd/dvd's to goesgoesgoes?

try the command "mount" and see if there's your CD/DVD if not then try using the "df" if there's nothing try to mount it manually as root

su

then type your root password...

mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom

assuming you're using iso9660 hehe...if not type your format there....hope this has helped..

Guest SirDonkeyPunch

mount point doesnt exist, only sda1 and sda6 show up when mount/df commands are issued.

i had to make the directory for media/cdrom after recieved error, now i get a superblock error

[root@localhost media]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: /dev/sr0: can't read superblock
[root@localhost media]#

try the command "mount" and see if there's your CD/DVD if not then try using the "df" if there's nothing try to mount it manually as root

su

then type your root password...

mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom

assuming you're using iso9660 hehe...if not type your format there....hope this has helped..

You do not need any CD-ROM entries in fstab. Only old (VERY old) Linux apps and wine need such an entry.

All inserted media in the CD/DVD drive are automounted under /media/cdrom or /media/dvd (browse your /media folder as the name may vary slightly) - excluding audioCD's which are not mountable.

Edited by scarecrow

Guest SirDonkeyPunch

ok so data cdroms are mounting fine however dvd's are not. they are running thru a slave drive could that be causing any issues?

You do not need any CD-ROM entries in fstab. Only old (VERY old) Linux apps and wine need such an entry.

All inserted media in the CD/DVD drive are automounted under /media/cdrom or /media/dvd (browse your /media folder as the name may vary slightly) - excluding audioCD's which are not mountable.

Edited by SirDonkeyPunch

No, I don't think the slave drive is the reason. As long as you don't have any fstab entries for CD-ROM (if you happen to keep one for wine, set the filesystem as "auto", not "ISΟ9660" as many DVD's are pure UDF 1.02, without ISO9660 structures and/or Joliet extensions) it should work- although for proper access of commercial DVD's you may need a couple of things on top ( libdvdcss2, libdvdnav - although both these are for playback purposes, not for access purposes ).

What do you get by running

groups

as plain user in a console?

Or, maybe even better, by

cat /etc/groups

Edited by scarecrow

I had the same problem before I got here, what I did

I created a directory in my home and use it as a mount point my problem was similar and also got permission issues...

I got thet Idea after the konsole output were those....try it it worked for me...later it was mounting ok without any problem didn't knew what really was the issue but after that it mount it automatically..

I do not think you need a special mount dir at your home folder.

hal creates automatically the mount directories as /media/something. Normally, all you want to do is adding your user to the optical devices group (in Mandriva I believe this is the "cdrom" group, and every new user is added there by default), but in some cases you may have to add the user to the "hal" and/or "dbus" groups. That's why I asked for a listing of the /etc/groups ( or /etc/group, as Greg2 hinted ) config file.

Edited by scarecrow

when I had the problem I did add my userlogin to cdrom group but didn't work...maybe because of the hal/dbus groups that you have mentioned...and maybe you're right if you say I had to be in those groups..I gave the advice that worked for me...maybe this groups were the solution I needed in that moment....

Let's see how it goes to him