Installed Mandriva - what should I install now?

kdar

I think the question is more "what" to install, not "how" to install.

You could have a look at the wiki for suggestions, or just browse the "Add software" gui for a category that interests you.

You don't say whether this is your first time checking out what linux software is available or not, but I was amazed the first time I saw just how much was available!

There's no single answer to "what should I install" though, it depends too much on what you want to do with your new system. Play videos, write documents, develop software, run a server, perform complex maths, tinkle around on the internet, .... and so on.

well I thought about that but I was thinking about the java thing and that it might help more info... :unsure:

Well, I probably will keep videos driver like it it.

But when I try to do what you tell me, John. Trying su, then password, then init 3.. etc

My screen becomes black and doesn't do anything. I am not sure why its not working.

And kdar, for some interesting "shopping" i can very much recommend the following site:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/new-cool-list-linux.html

nice list, I'm looking into it right now, has some applications which seems pretty useful, I didn't know about them (well most of them :P ) thx 4the link :thumbs:

Hello Kdar.

Are you putting a space between the t and the 3 ??.

If you are and it is still not bringing up the text then I have no further suggestions to offer. Maybe some other member has an idea.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn