Installed Mandriva - what should I install now?

kdar

Hello.

I am new to Mandriva. I just installed Mandriva and want to know what I should install now? Any important packages to install?

;

Also, I tried to use chat on this portal, but it needs Java. I can install it just from Java main site? (I got java installed, on firefox too :) )

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Edited by kdar

Hello.

I am new to Mandriva. I just installed Mandriva and want to know what I should install now? Any important packages to install?

;

Also, I tried to use chat on this portal, but it needs Java. I can install it just from Java main site? (I got java installed, on firefox too :) )

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

First of all..Welcome aboard...

Second...what version are you running 2009.0? 2008.1?...2009.1?...if you give us that info using

uname -a

in a terminal/konsole...and you now know your mandriva version

get to easy urpmi and install the repositories for your version...then

you can do as root

su

it will prompt for your root password... so you will have to give it..then

urpmi --auto-update

or

urpmi.update -a

after that you should check if there's a red icon with and "!" mark so you can install the updates...there was an update not long ago for java SDK so it will be installed 4 you..

if there isn't any red icon then you should try as root

urpmi --auto-select -a

I hope this works for you...it has helped me a lot :D

post-37794-1245990232_thumb.jpg

I think the question is more "what" to install, not "how" to install.

You could have a look at the wiki for suggestions, or just browse the "Add software" gui for a category that interests you.

You don't say whether this is your first time checking out what linux software is available or not, but I was amazed the first time I saw just how much was available!

There's no single answer to "what should I install" though, it depends too much on what you want to do with your new system. Play videos, write documents, develop software, run a server, perform complex maths, tinkle around on the internet, .... and so on.

Thank you.

I have 2009.1 KDE4 (using CD One)

I was just wondering if there is anything necessary for the system to be installed (for system to run etc..). When I used Ubuntu, I know I had to install some essential files package.

The Add/Remove Software in Mandriva is not urpmi? or is it?

Edited by kdar

Thank you.demonseth17

I have 2009.1 KDE4 (using CD One)

I was just wondering if there are any necessary for the system to be installed (for system to run etc..). When I used Ubuntu, I know I had to install some essential files package.

Everything essential for the system to run is there, otherwise your system wouldn't even run! :)

I recommend to add the PLF repositories from http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ as mentioned by demonseth17 as they contain useful stuff that Mandriva cannot officially distribute (additional media codecs, commercial movie DVD support, etc).

For DVD support install libdvdcss.

The Add/Remove Software in Mandriva is not urpmi? or is it?

'Add/Remove Software' is an application called drakrpm which is a graphical interface for urpmi.

Edited by tux99

Thank you.

I will try easy urpmi tonight.

Oh another thing. I tried to update to latest Nvidia driver for GeForce 9600M yesterday.

I downloaded a Nividia driver for Linux-32bit and tried to type sh <Nvidia-driver-name> in the Konsole.

But it asked me to do it in text mode. How do I exit X11? and go into text mode?

Edited by kdar

Thank you.

I will try easy urpmi tonight.

Oh another thing. I tried to update to latest Nvidia driver for GeForce 9600M yesterday.

I downloaded a Nividia driver for Linux-32bit and tried to type sh <Nvidia-driver-name> in the Konsole.

But it asked me to do it in text mode. How do I exit X11? and go into text mode?

Would advise installing Nvidia-drivers through Mandriva Linux Control Center (MCC).

open a console, type "su - root", and then type "init 3"

This will change to runlevel 3 which is text mode, to change back to X11 either type "init 5" or do a reboot.

But I agree with isadora, better stick with the drivers provided by Mandriva, unless you know exactly what you are doing.

You could easily mess up your system otherwise.

Edited by tux99

I tried running init 3 (after doing su and password).

But my screen was all black and didn't respond.

Once again, would try installing my video-driver through MCC.

I tried running init 3 (after doing su and password).

But my screen was all black and didn't respond.

that's likely a x11-driver bug, I have seen that on a few PCs...

You can also edit /etc/inittab (as root) and change the line that says:

id:5:initdefault:

into

id:3:initdefault:

then reboot, your box will then come up in text mode, but you will have to subsequently edit it again and change it back to '5' to get X11 to start automatically again.

You can also force the runlevel from grub by adding 3 or 5 to the boot string on the fly at boot time but that might be too complicated unless you know what you are doing.

You can tell MCC what file to use? Or it will fine?

It just in my MCC it tells that my card is 6100 or higher. I have 9600M on my laptop, and just kind of wondering if it the same thing.

6100 or higher is correct for your card.

Hello KDAR.

I think you forgot that 9600 is higher than 6100 so of course yes that is the one to select.

As Isadora says that is the preferred method to use. When you become more familiar with Mandriva, i.e. Linux, then you can consider using the proprietary driver.

Reference the method that TUX mentioned, when you typed init 3 then enter, sure you got a black screen but up near the top left hand corner you would have seen some text.

You then type in root press enter and then your root password then enter again. You then need to type in ls /"where you have the nvidia driver located" (the actual location), press enter and you should see the located driver. Press the up arrow and you will see the same line you previously typed in, now modify it by changing only the ls to cd and press enter again. Now type in sh NVIDIA and press the tab button which will complete the driver title, again press enter and you will see the install procedure start. Select Yes all the way through and when it is completed, type in reboot.

Cheers. John.