Popular Linux Distros That'll Get You A Job

spinynorman

OdinJobs, the largest technology job search engine, looks at the demand and median salary for the most popular distros here.

Interesting, thanks for the link! (although the fact that Redhat dominates the corporate world is well known)

Edited by tux99

I do find it strange that Mandriva doesn't even hit that list whatsoever. But they do need to sort their business side out, ensure that they deal with and help prospective business partners to get them going so that they can increase and sell the Mandriva products. Something of which they seem to have a hard time getting the ball rolling.

On a side note, they have been making more communications recently (hopefully in a bid to improve their marketing) - however they seem to have changed from English to French - which doesn't help much :weird: since each profile has a language assigned, it wouldn't be too hard to deliver the appropriate communicate in the correct language.

(Aside point: The name Mandriva, what was originally Mandrake has not caught on. There was not a single position that used the new term. Mandrake however was still used and had an average demand of about 10 jobs a month).
Ouch! I had expected that at least some francophone countries and/or Brasil (where Conectiva vcame from) would demand some Mandriva-experts. I hope that they get back on the right track. The product is top-quality, their business-skills and marketing skill are - as discussed earlier - a completely different thing.

BTW: I had expected SUSE/Novell to be a bit more prominent these days. But apparently, fighting against Red Hat (which is admittedly damn stable) is a pretty tough job.

I have the impression those stats are made from US job postings only, so Brasil and/or French jobs don't get counted.

Also as Mandriva is quite similar to Redhat/Fedora in many respects, Mandriva skills are transferable.

One of the reasons why I like Mandriva at home is because I can mostly re-use my Redhat work knowledge (unlike with Ubuntu/Debian which is quite different).

• 3 weeks later...

Based on this article and thread I decided to try Fedora 11.

It felt more like Mandriva than Ubuntu, but it wasn't enough of Mandriva for me to want to switch.

Mandriva feels like a much more polished product to me.

It's all in the details I guess, little things like the Synaptic Package Manager not having a progress indicator, and I didn't see any simple way to add sources.

Edited by Zac Medley

Synaptic does have a progress indicator, and it's not used in Fedora.

Are you sure you didn't load Ubuntu instead? :P

That's what I thought I said, but maybe in an indirect way.