can't get to the login screen

Guest mrt

I also installed the nvidia drivers after I urpmi the kernel-source. It installed, but when I boot into linux-secure, it still didn't work... I tried to "reinstall" the nvidia drivers under the linux-secure boot, but it said that my X was already started... I looked in the nvidia-installation.log file and it said that there was a /var/.X0-lock file that was present which means the X was already started...hmm but I wasn't in X and when I try startx it would just go to the black screen. So should I just set my bootloader to always go to linux instead of linux-secure? If I should...how can I do this?

Also, I when I did modprobe nvidia, it told me installed the module, but when I did modprobe sis900 it didn't say anything. When I went to go mcc, the bringing up interface eth0 still failed... Maybe I'm not installing the module correctly?

BTW steve, I really want to thank you! You've been such amazing help! I wouldn't be getting anywhere if it isn't for your help! hehe...I'm just sitting here clicking refresh on this thread to see if I get any more ideas from you.:P

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh the other hand it doesn't say nvidia... I've restarted the computer since I did modprobe nvidia. So I tried to modprobe nvidia again and now nvidia is on the lsmod list. Does this mean I need to do modprobe nvidia everytime I start up the computer? I already have the alias in modules.conf for nvidia and sis900

hmmmmm.....nvidia should've loaded itself with the alias in there. We'll get to that later. You might be able to get into X now, by startx if you got it to load and you are not in linux-secure.

We'll work on that later. I forgot that you can't get to mcc cuz you can't get into X. Sorry. LOL.

So, do ifconfig and see if you see eth0 with an ip address.

And stick around. This is all I'm doing right now.

well I think I can get into mcc without X... it actually loads in the shell without X running. But when I started up X, it still doesn't say eth0 has an ip...And also using the graphica mcc, it still says my sis900 is down (but it recognizes that eth0 is using the driver sis900)

I do have that file and I'm trying ifup and this is what it says:

Determining IP information for eth0...SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy

failed.

and this is what that file says:

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

IPADDR=...

NETMASK=...

NETWORK=...

BROADCAST=...

ONBOOT=yes

MII_NOT_SUPPROTED=yes

NEEDHOSTNAME=yes

I need tried to manually add the ip addr I was assigned at school and the netmask, etc. But that didn't help... hehe (I tried this way earlier, before I came to the forum)

Do you have Plug n Play disabled in the BIOS? I think it is a confusing arrangement in Asus Award BIOS if that's what you have. I think the question is "Plug n Play OS", in which case, you would answer Yes. You want the OS to do PnP, not the BIOS.

What do you get when you do

cat /proc/interrupts

? Just look to see what is using the same interrupt as the eth0

BTW steve, I really want to thank you!  You've been such amazing help!  I wouldn't be getting anywhere if it isn't for your help! hehe...I'm just sitting here clicking refresh on this thread to see if I get any more ideas from you.:P

I just wanted to say that I do what I can. It shouldn't take me this long to solve the problems...lol. You got stuck with one of the least knowledgable of the 'experts'. We'll get it going somehow.

oh dear...these are big outputs and will take me quite a bit of time to type...but here's eth0 from dmesg:

eth0: Realtek RTL8201 PHY transceiver found at address 1.

eth0: Using transceiver found at at address 1 as default

eth0: SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet at 0x9800, IRQ 0, 00:0c:6e:17:3b:44.

in lspci -v:

00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 10/100 Ethernet (rev91)

Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 80a7

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency32

I/O ports at 9800 [size=256]

Memory at ed000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

Expansion ROM at f76e0000 [disabled] [size=128K]

Capabilities: <available only to root>