can't get to the login screen

Guest mrt

It looks like you aren't even getting an IRQ. Here's mine as an example:

00:09.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c940 1000Base? (rev 12)

Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 80eb

Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 4

Memory at e5800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

I/O ports at d800

Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 2

Capabilities: [50] Vital Product Data

and my /proc/interrupts is misleading, because it shows a different module name:

4:     305311          XT-PIC  SysKonnect SK-98xx

but it is right because the 3c2000 is based on the sk-98xx. I could be that you need to download an updated driver from the asus site and try it.

I think this is it:

http://www.asus.com/support/download/selec...16b.zip~zaqwedc

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hehe, it's okay. I checked the revision of the source code for kernel 2.4.19 and it's the same version as the one that came with the kernel-source. so that means those files are no different from the compiles .o I have already. But you were correct to assume that there is no *.o in the downloaded file. Hehe

well thanks Steve!! Thanks for helping me out!! It taught me quite a bit of how this system works! Thanks for all your time and effort!

Maybe I'm wrong about how you are supposed to answer the Plug n Play question in the BIOS. It's never been real clear to me. I think you want to make sure that the BIOS knows you have a Plug n Play OS, so the BIOS doesn't try to assign IRQs for you, but I could have it backwards.

steve you're a magician!! that's amazing!! it works! I turned off PnP hehe and it works!!

So I was wondering, do you know how to change my bootloader so that it'll boot into linux instead of linux-secure. Also I'm using grub right now, so should I change that to lilo? I changed to grub because a found a forum discussion somewhere that said someone fix their X login problems by changing the bootloader. eh...I'm impartial to which one I use.

So what's the difference between linux and linux-secure or all the other ones?

Is there a way to make nvidia's module to load automatically without me having to type modprobe nvidia everytime?

steve you're a magician!! that's amazing!!  it works!  I turned off PnP hehe and it works!!

I guess I do have it backwards. Wonder why mine works ok....hmmmm

So I was wondering, do you know how to change my bootloader so that it'll boot into linux instead of linux-secure.  Also I'm using grub right now, so should I change that to lilo?  I changed to grub because a found a forum discussion somewhere that said someone fix their X login problems by changing the bootloader.  eh...I'm impartial to which one I use.

Some people like grub because it is easier to recover, but I only know how to edit lilo, cuz that's the only one I've ever used. You can edit /etc/lilo.conf and somewhere near the top there is a line that says which one is default. Change it, save the file and run:

lilo -v

in a terminal as root. as for grub, I think the file is in /boot....something like grub.menulst or something. You just edit it and it save it. It should be real abvious how to change the default.

You can also do either one of these graphically, through mcc->boot configuration

So what's the difference between linux and linux-secure or all the other ones?

The only difference is the options passed to the kernel in the "append=" line. Look at the grub.menulst or /etc/lilo.conf and you'll see. linux-secure might be different, though. I'm guessing your problem with X in linux-secure is possibly that linux-secure will never allow X to run, but I have no clue, really.

Is there a way to make nvidia's module to load automatically without me having to type modprobe nvidia everytime?

That's what the alias in /etc/modules.conf is supposed to do. Did you check /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and make sure the driver listed for your device is "nvidia" and not "nv"?