Anyone using ext4 yet?

ianw1974

No file system can, though it may be able to claim that you won't lose your data due to problems with the FS itself. Data corruption/loss due to hardware failure and other issues outside the control of the FS is always possible.

Yeah that's what I said: "you will not experience file system related data loss with it".

for hardware failure there is RAID, that's not the job of the filesystem to prevent (although zfs takes care of that too, but sadly is not available on Linux...).

BTRFS might be even better at some point in the future but currently it's still way to unstable for production use. I know a few people who tried it and lost data with it recently.

BTRFS might be even better at some point in the future but currently it's still way to unstable for production use. I know a few people who tried it and lost data with it recently.

I agree, I've been interested in this filesystem and am looking to use it at some point but when it becomes stable. It seems to have blistering performance from what I hear.

And I know about ext3 and it's long fsck. A client rebooted their server that someone had installed for them, and it had like a 3TB file system. I had to go in and cancel it from trying to fsck because they needed the server up urgently.