2009.1, x86_64, GNOME: Brasero is not burning CD-R

man8user

The Brasero version I have is 2.26.1. There is a CD and a DVD writer in my PC. Tried burning an Audio CD in DVD Writer and it starts moving the slider in the small window that appears after I hit "Burn". However even after 5 minutes that window does not change and there is no LED activity on the DVD writer. Same result with CD writer.

It did burn a Data CD just fine.

I tried both ways: inserting a blank CD-R and auto-starting Brasero by that chain of events and also by manually starting Brasero and then ignoring the "Blank CD Notification". Brasero does show the two writable devices for CD when I hit burn.

In the interim, came across "GnomeBaker CD/DVD Writer 0.6.4" that is a bit unstable but works. You just have to forget adding multiple files at a time. Add one at a time by drag and drop and it works. Add in any other way or with your selection having multiple files, it invariably locks up or crashes. It's file ordering option works pretty good too.

Thanks.

Replace cdrkit with cdrecord. Problem solved.

cdrkit is very buggy, and should be obsoleted since years ago. cdrecord (on which cdrkit was based) works flawlessly, but i's not included as standard in any Linux distro, because the developer is using an odd licence, which does not allow the free distribution of his binaries in a regular GPL'ed Linux distro, and because he usually behaves to requests about license change and all that like an arsehole...

But, no matter what Joerg Schilling is (apart from a Solaris lover and a Linux basher), his little program is absolutely the best way to burn CD's and DVD's under Linux for free (there's also thee commercial Nerolinux program).

Sorry for late response.

I frankly do not understand quite well the layering you described. In my PC if I try to find packages I get something like this:

[rcomix@localhost ~]$ man cdrecord
[rcomix@localhost ~]$ 
[rcomix@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa | grep cdrkit
cdrkit-isotools-1.1.9-1mdv2009.1
cdrkit-1.1.9-1mdv2009.1
cdrkit-icedax-1.1.9-1mdv2009.1
cdrkit-genisoimage-1.1.9-1mdv2009.1
[rcomix@localhost ~]$ 
[rcomix@localhost ~]$ 
[rcomix@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa | grep cdrecord
[rcomix@localhost ~]$ 
[rcomix@localhost ~]$ 
[rcomix@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa | grep cdrtools
[rcomix@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa | grep cdtools

Since "cdrkit" is a name that shows up at package level, I can remove the RPMs with that name. Is that what you suggest? If I do that, it looks it would also remove the "wodim" program by Joerg Schilling! By the way, the wodim and cdrecord are the same program...

[rcomix@localhost ~]$ 
[rcomix@localhost ~]$ which cdrecord
/usr/bin/cdrecord
[rcomix@localhost ~]$ 
[rcomix@localhost ~]$ which wodim
/usr/bin/wodim
[rcomix@localhost ~]$ 
[rcomix@localhost ~]$ ls -alt /usr/bin/cdrecord
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 2009-06-13 15:41 /usr/bin/cdrecord -> /etc/alternatives/cdrecord*
[rcomix@localhost ~]$ 
[rcomix@localhost ~]$ ls -alt /etc/alternatives/cdrecord
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2009-06-13 15:41 /etc/alternatives/cdrecord -> /usr/bin/wodim*
[rcomix@localhost ~]$ 

On a second thought, I think you meant getting down to command line operations to burn CD/DVD. If wodim is the little wonder that does it all, then all the programs like Brasero, K3B, GnomeBaker, etc. are just providing a GUI and converting user requests into wodim commands. Wish I could keep Gnome and use K3B at the same time. K3B always worked for me in the past from Suse and RedHat days.

On Windoze I prefer the InfraRecorder to anything else. So, how about getting into WINE environment to burn Cd/DVD and then back to Linux for all other stuff? I mean, how much is the learning curve for WINE? Never needed that before. My PC is a superfast beast now. So, WINE overheads are ignorable.

Regards.

Both Brasero and K3B can use cdrecord instead.

wodim and cdrecord are NOT the same thing. They just use common binary names, and for that reason they conflict to each other.

One windows application which is working perfectly under the current linux wine releases is ImgBurn. Configuring wine for burning CD's with it is very simple:

1. Install wine and winetricks

2. Run "winecfg" as normal user, and set your CD-ROM drive entry as "CD-ROM", not auto.

3. Run "winetricks allfonts" (so that windoze programs won't display garbage due to missing fonts)

4. Install Imgburn in the normal wine prefix (winXP for the new wine versions). You should already be able to burn with it, although you can experiment a bit with access interfaces other than SPTI (neroaspi, forceaspi, frogaspi etc). Another windoze application which is working flawlessly under wine is Exact Audio Copy, by far the best audio ripper for any OS.

But... all the above about wine apply for i686- I have no idea how well wine is working under x86_64.

Edited by scarecrow

• 1 month later...

I have tried to use this to burn a bunch of MP3's to disk as an audio CD.

I created a project with the files. I clicked BURN then get a progress bar bouncing back and forth says "Normalizing Files" Left it running last night while watching TV. Four hours later I checked and it asked me to save the project and had ejected the CD. I thought "Great" and went to test to see if the CD played. It was still blank.

I opened the saved project and clicked BURN again awhile ago. Started the same process of "normalizing" I stopped it because it does not appear to work...just waste time.

Did I miss something or is there a bug that prevents Brasero from actually burning MP3 files to a disk as a normal audio CD. Is there something better that will actually work for this?